Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Found a great QC tool post sale.
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:34:50 GMT

The Aloris/Dorian type of knurling holder IS self centering!

Bring it gently into contact with the workpiece and UNLOCK the wedge.  Now apply
enough pressure to start both wheels running in firm contact and retighten the
wedge.  The holder cannot be anything BUT on center.

For good sharp knurling, cleanliness is more important than Godliness!

Start with clean knurls applied about i/3 of their width to the end of the work
piece.  Apply lots of oil and lots of pressure, until they are cutting FULL
DEPTH and any tendency to double track has been overcome. (Any suggestion that a
"Special Diameter" is required for knurling is BALONEY!!!!) (and I'll FOIGHT any
man that says it isn't so!!)

Traverse the tool under full pressure from right to left applying LOTS of oil
and constantly brushing with a fine steel wire brush.  It may help to have a
little "Lead" on the wheels, i.e. Set just a little out of square with the
axis..a few thou deeper at the front.

For a really "Crisp" job I may then use a small power wire brush in the Fordom
or Dremmel to give the Knurling a high polish, clean the wheels again and make a
final "Coining" pass, again, with lots of oil.

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Knurls
From: Robert Bastow <Tubal_cain@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:08:14 GMT

Can you tell me what those diameters are??

In forty plus years of metalcutting I have NEVER found a diameter that couldn't
be perfectly knurled with standard diameter knurls!!

If the army says it ain't so then you know why army pencils have erasers on the
other end!!

Knurls are NOT GEARS!!  The "pressure angle is such that thy cannot fail to slip
into mesh whenever the pitch diameter is "mathematically incorrect"

The only time when this is unlikely to happen is when the initial bite is not
deep enough.

So quit worrying about something that ain't going to happen!!

And quit repeating "Stuff" read in books written by so-called "experts" who
obviously have never tried out their theories in practice!!

Robert Bastow

...Who is sick of hearing the same old garbage repeated by one generation after
another!!

> There are diameters that cannot be knurled with standard size knurls.

Index Home About Blog