Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Little Elevator/Big Lathe
From: Robert Bastow <nil_carborundum@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 06:14:14 GMT

The Millwrights,(riggers) if they are worth their salt, will find this
one a breeze!  Standard practice is to drop the elevator to the
basement, open the doors and hoist the machine up the shaft..on end if
necessary.  Yes they do drop them on occasion!!  I saw the very first
Herbert CNC lathe dropped four stories..made a right mess of the
elevator.  They may decide it is easier to go up the outside with a
crane and scoot it through the window.

My advice is to leave it to the professionals..if only for insurance
purposes.

I put a Smart and Brown Model A Toolrom lathe into my (then) townhouse
basement by dropping it vertically through a 24"x30" hole I cut in the
floor right inside the front door. I built two custon "A" frfames out of
4x4 lumber, one for outside and one for inside. The lathebed was split
from the base, which was the heaviest piece. Total weight close to a
ton.

Myself and two helpers had the hole cut, lathe in and the hole buttoned
up with carpet relaid inside an hour..before "She Who Must Be Obeyed"
came home from the mall.  I never did tell her how I got the lathe in
there.  OBTY it came out the same way in even less time..we were experts
by then!!

Robert Bastow

Index Home About Blog