Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: More Clausing Knee Mill Questions
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 03:49:48 GMT

Drill the holes clear through the table and stamp "OIL" beside them!!

Actually the best way is to drill and ream the holes oversize and pound in a
couple of slightly tapered plugs made of cast iron.

Before sending the table for grinding, cut the plugs to within ten or twenty
thou of the table and peen all around the edge with a ball pein hammer.

You won't be able to find the plugs when it comes back.

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Bridgeport table material.... Cast iron?
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 16:12:38 GMT

When repairing gouges in machine tool tables, my preference is always to spend
the time and effort, in inlaying pieces of cast iron in the table top. This can
be as simple as reaming out a drill hole and tapping in a lightly tapered
plug...Or as complex as milling a dovetailed pocket or keying in a shaped piece
with a few strategically placed set screws,

The inlays are then milled to within a few thou of the surface, and gently
peened around the edges before finish machining, grinding or scraping.

The results, if properly done, are invisible.

Similar techniques have restored badly worn or gouged slide ways.

It may take a bit of imagination..but a way can usually be found to restore even
busted out tee slots, without loosing strength..Where there is a will..There IS
a way!!

Finally..don't forget the old "OIL DAILY" trick!!

8^)

teenut