Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: setting a micrometer
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:33:31 GMT

The Micrometer barrel is a simple press fit in the sleeve..no locknuts involved.

Set the mic to your "feel", on the standard and lock the spindle.  Take your cee
spanner and gently twist the barrel until the zero lines line up.  Direction is
kinda counter-intuitive..so don't be surprised, or alarmed. if you turn it the
wrong way at first (I always do!!) If this happens, or if you overshoot..simply
turn it back a bit.

NOW!!

Put the mic down and let it cool down to ambient temperature before re-checking
the zero and tweaking again.  The mic WILL have expanded from your hot, sweaty
little hands..so don't rush it and get a false reading.

teenut (Who did TEN of them yesterday!!)

From: Ted Edwards <Ted_E@bc.sympatico.ca>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 08:14:31 -0500

One thing I haven't seen mentioned amongst all the good advice is CLEAN
CLEAN CLEAN!  It only takes a tiny piece of crud to put you off thou not
tenths.  Clean any oil or grease off the anvils with a bit of solvent on
a rag then gently close the mic on a piece of writing paper and pull the
paper through the anvils for an inch or so.  Do not pull the paper right
through as you are then likely to pick up fibers from the edge.

Ted

Index Home About Blog