Index Home About Blog
From: "Barry L. Ornitz" <ornitzz@dpnet.net>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Paint that sticks to polyethylene sheet?
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 16:34:38 -0400

Robert Bastow wrote in message <37FA074D.6E33F70A@home.com>...
>Polyethylene bottles etc., that are to be printed, are first passed briefly
>through a gas flame.
>
>The process is called "Activation"
>
>teenut
>
>gcouger wrote:
>
>> I believe that polyethylene surfaces can be rendered active enough
>> to take paint and glue by passing a flame over them, bombarding them
>> with ion's and possibly radiation.
>>
>> If I remember correctly you just want to knock the shine off using an
>> oxidizing flame.

If done carefully, this should work quite well.  Industrially, the oxidized
surface is often generated by a high voltage corona discharge, particularly
with thin films.  The corona produces ozone which attacks the polyethylene
surface to produce a thin layer of the oxide.  The oxide layer will allow
many glues and inks to properly bond.

If you use a flame, work quickly and keep a fire extinguisher handy - just
in case.

        Barry     ornitz-at-dpnet.net

Index Home About Blog