Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Ageing copper
From: kimberln@crl.com (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 30 Oct 1994 17:17:15 -0800

In article <CyH6I7.A3F@cix.compulink.co.uk> timn@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Tim Nott") writes:
>Anyone here work with copper and KNOW how to get a tough blue-green
>patina on it. Other than by leaving it out in the rain for a few years?
>I put KNOW in upper case as I've already had loads of 'Have you
>tried...?' messages from people who obviously haven't. So no
>vinegar/piss/baking soda/cold tea or other snake oil please.

I suggest you talk to someone who forges works of art in bronze.  The
patina is simply copper that has reacted with sulfur.  I have never done
it.  I would put the object into some sort of container, wet it, and fill
the container with sulfur dioxide from a gas cylinder.  If that is not
available use automobile exhaust - that is what causes the coruption in
the real world.  In any case, if you cause the reaction to go too fast,
it will not be a tough patina, but a flaky one.  So far as I know, art
forgers take several months to a few years to age a piece, so don't
expect something in a week or five.

JerryK

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Green copper
From: whit@carson.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1992 03:24:31 GMT

In article <1hal1oINNgur@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> Eric Kasten writes:
>Ok, here's a question for you folks.  Sometimes on copper metal
>sculptures you'll find a finish which is sort of a rough green
>substance (maybe somesort of copper oxide?)

	The name for this kind of patina is 'verdigris'
(check a dictionary for details).

	It is common practice to treat copper roofs with
ammonium sulphate to form the green color quickly; it is not
exactly an oxide, and simple weathering sometimes does not
do the trick.

	John Whitmore

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Copper oxidation
From: John De Armond
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 94 06:13:02 GMT

john_wagner@washcoll.edu (John Wagner) writes:

>I am making an indoor fountain out of copper tubing and sheet copper
>flashing material. how can I make the copper green? Muriatic acid perhaps?
>Any suggestions?

Unless you want to waste a lot of time experimenting and then still
possibly not get a coating that will stay green, use a commercial
patina made for that purpose.  We use it in stained glass work.
I'm sure it is available from anywhere that sells sculpture or
architectural supplies.

John

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Verdigris finish on copper and brass - Help required please
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@home.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:09:25 GMT

A year or so ago this verdigris/patina question came up on the knife-list.

General consensus was that the the "non plus ultra" was...cat pee!!

Of course the thread then degenerated..as these things do!!..into ways and means
to get kitty to pee in a bottle!

However, accepted practice is to bury the object in the kitty litter tray for a
week or so!!

Rather you than me!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: question re:antiqueing brass
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@home.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:55:01 GMT

Kitty Litter tray..with the kitty!

Couple or three days if it is a Tom..Longer if Neutered or a female!

Seriously..I kid you not!  Old Pro Antique Fakers trick, will age it a hundred
years in a week

Rinse well with a bit of baking soda and clear laquer to preserve the "Patina"

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@home.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:06:43 GMT

"Chris K. Hepburn" (possibly in all seriousness)  wrote:

> Ummm...can't you just buy ammonia?  Isn't that the active ingredient in
> cat pee?

Obviously never had a cat Chris!!

There is something FAR more active than ammonia in cat pee!

> What about using ammonia based cleaners?
>
> Or is this somehow less amusing than getting a tomcat to pee into a
> beaker?

Bottles Chris, Not beakers!  We are trying to Market it, and Wall Mart prefers
Bottles!

The REAL amusing bit is trying to get them to wash their hands after using the
bottle!!

8^)

teenut

Index Home About Blog