Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Question on locating and drilling holes for an amateur
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 07:04:40 GMT

If you MUST use a pilot hole..

(Good reasons why....Drill will cut accurately to size even if not perfectly
ground.  Even with web thinning your drill press simply doesn't have the "Push")

Drill a pilot hole only as big as the web..then follow with the full size drill.

Less chance of grabbing, chipping the lip or burning out the drill corners.

Also faster!!

(your Machinist friend is correct)

teenut

From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:04:56 GMT

The solid bit down the middle that stops the two flutes from meeting and
producing two interesting spiral fingers.  The end of it is called the "chisel
edge"

teenut

Kevin Szabo wrote:

> In article <c0xj4.304$ps1.61671@news1.rdc1.ga.home.com>,
> Robert Bastow  <"teenut"@ hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >Drill a pilot hole only as big as the web..
> > then follow with the full size drill.
> >
> >Less chance of grabbing, chipping the lip or burning out the drill corners.
>
> First dumb question for this wednesday ...
>
> What part of the drill is the `web'?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin
>
> P.S.  Did you get your son his 'Scope?