Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Machine Tool Reconditioning?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 20:53:49 GMT

Mark wrote:

> You have hit the nail on the head....
>
> Not many scrapers left, anymore.

Not surprising..as John remarked, with "Machine Tool Reconditioning" as their
"bible" most have disappeared up their own bums by now!!

Hardly surprising too, that there is only the one definitive work on the
subject..He was probably the only person who could stay awake during the writing
of such a tome..ne'er mind the reading of it!!

It is, nontheless, THE book that every would-be machine rebuilder needs to
read.  Every HSM machine tool user needs to rebuild..just ONE machine in a
lifetime..(No John, not TAKING a lifetime 8^)  It certainly gives a new
appreciation of how accuracy is GENERATED from first principles.

It also makes "Good Condition" machines, that seemed expensive once..seem a
whole lot more reasonably priced all of a sudden!

teenut
(who has hung up his scrapers forever!!) (Hopefully)

> John Hofstad-Parkhill wrote in message ...
> >Bill:
> >
> >Don't do it. I beg of you.
> >
> >Ok, actually it is a really good book. There are things just about anybody
> >can learn, even if you don't want to ever scrape again.
> >
> >It get's worse. Even after you swear off scraping, there will still be a
> >little voice calling...
> >
> >The tone of the book, particularly in the early chapters, is in my mind
> >_the_ definition of a super-anal perfectionist. I'm not sure I would have
> >written it differently, although Ed does seem to take on airs about
> >scrapers -vs- the rank ameteur. I would be one of the latter.

Index Home About Blog