Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Cutting hex holes in drill rod
From: Robert Bastow <Teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:34:07 GMT

That is probably the quickest and easiest way.  If you only need a few Parts,
just use a short section of allen wrench. This is a bit on the soft side for
this application, but if you don't mind regrinding a few times it will do the
job.. Failing that, grind one up from HSS.

When you grind the end, try doing it on the very edge of the smallest wheel you
have.  Spin it as you grind and you will finish up with a concave end.  This
gives the cutting edges a bit of positive rake.

Going a few thou over on the pilot drill, (larger than the A/F of your hex),
will make the job a LOT easier without sacrificing anything important in the way
of looks or strength.

Robert Bastow

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <Teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 05:20:54 GMT

This technique works well with buggered hex sockets.  After all, the metal has
only one place to go, and that is UP!!   Faced with this problem, ( I rebuild a
lot of old Machinery), I find that a judicious smack on top of the screw with a
hammer, will push most of the metal back into place.  I then grind the end of a
hex key square and tap it into the socket.

Works like a charm.

Robert Bastow

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <Teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:35:51 GMT

Matt Stawicki (APP Leader) wrote:

> I think you slipped. The pilot drill may be a a thou or 2 larger than the
> DISTANCE ACCROSS THE FLATS, not accross the corners. If you make the hole
> slightly larger than the distance accross the corners, you'll have nothing
> left to broach.

DEAD RIGHT Matt...See my follow up post on this point.

And Hey, dont't EVER hesitate to try to prove me wrong on any point!..just stay
away from personal attacks and you will get no grief from me

That's what this forum is all about.  ;^)

Robert Bastow

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <Teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 06:15:02 GMT

It seems the hardness of high grade allen wrenches is in the 45 to 50 range
which falls in line with their need to be at maximum toughness.  I have run into
much harder Examples but the snap easily.(I don't seem to be able to find a good
metric set.

Most of the good ones are advertised as "vanadium" which leads me to suspect
they would be something like 4340 or 4350.

Tough as old boots but not exactly what I would choose for a cutting tool.

Robert Bastow

From: Robert Bastow <teenut@home.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Allen Wrenches
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:57:20 GMT

"Buggered" hex socket heads can often be almost completely rehabilitated by
lightly hammering straight downwards on the head and peening the "erupted"
material back into place.

A freshly square ground end of a good quality hex key can then be tapped into
place to finish reforming the socket.  I use the short 1/4" hex drive alen keys
from my cheap socket set as pocket swages for this purpose

With a bit of care, socket heads can be restored to an almost "as new"
condition.

You can also reform metric sockets to imperial sizes this way!!

Pity we can't reform Metric Advocates with a few judicious taps with a hammer!

Worth a try though.  8^)

teenut

David Berryhill wrote:

> I remember seeing a special tool for removing stripped allen-head screws in
> one of the tool catalogs.  It has a hex-shaped shank but it's tapered
> instead of straight-sided.  You drive the tool into the allen head with a
> hammer and turn the screw out with a wrench.
>
> It was probably the MSC or Rutland tool catalog.

Index Home About Blog