Index Home About Blog
From: Ted Edwards <Ted_E@bc.sympatico.ca>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Welding cobalt alloys?
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 13:26:44 -0500

Bray Haven wrote:

> Anyone have experience welding cobalt alloys like stellite (1/8" thick to
> stainless steel).  Tig? Rod type? any suggestions?

I haven't welded Stellite to SS but I have to mild steel.  I would
expect it to be even easier with SS.  I made myself and some friends
really serious center punches for hot or cold work by TIGing a blob of
#6 Stellite onto the end of a piece of re-bar and then shaping the point
in the lathe.  The stuff work hardens so after it's been used a while, I
re-point it (light cuts) and it seems to last for eons.  Mine is now
several years old.  I recently made a chisel for chipping lumps of
concrete similarly.  It worked well but hasn't been used enough (yet)
for me to comment on it's durability.

I also repaired the corroding connectors on some stove elements by
melting off the copper ones and building up new ones with a Tiny Torch
(O/A) and the same stellite rods.  Couldn't use TIG - no way to get a
gound connection.  No flux used and no problem doing it.  They're still
bright and shiny after about four years.  Stove elements are usually
Nichrome and so is related to SS in composition.

Ted

From: Ted Edwards <Ted_E@bc.sympatico.ca>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 19:31:39 -0500

Bray Haven wrote:

> >#6 Stellite onto the end of a piece of

> What rod did you use?

Ummmm.  I thought that was pretty clear.  #6 Stellite.

Ted

Index Home About Blog