Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Should I drive over to Canada
From: Robert Bastow <Tubal_cain@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 02:49:06 GMT

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

> Sounds like to me - NAFTA isn't functional unless you live south.
> I don't know the details of NAFTA - some of the bad ones - but good
> grief trade should be much easier between Canada and the U.S.
>
> Martin

Problem is that Canadian Manufacturing Base was built behind a wall of tariff
barriers.  If a US company wanted the extra ten percent of market that Canada
represented then they pretty well had to manufacture in Canada.

NAFTA did away with that..most US companies could retreat to their US
facilities, turn up the wicks ten percent (at a time when they were running 15
-25% under capacity) and ship product north of the border via the shell
companies they left there to handle marketing and distribution,

Ontario and Quebec lost THOUSANDS or manufacturing jobs in the couple of years
following NAFTA.  I know...my company and three hundred skilled employees were
among them!!

Robert Bastow

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re:Two Peoples Separated..
From: Robert Bastow <Teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 05:24:30 GMT

Anton Sherwood wrote:

> I wonder - are there people who really believe there are *no* big
> cultural difference between Europe and the USA?  They should try
> spending time in Europe!

There are probably no other two countries that have a closer bond of cultural
and idealistic backgrounds than the United States and the United Kingdom.  It is
a "Special Relationship" that has stood the test of peace and war, good times
and bad times...and long may it continue.

However, I spent the first thirty something years of my life as a Brit (albeit
travelling and working in (too damned) many different countries).

I have spent the last twenty-two years over 'ere.  I have been married to two
English girls a Welsh lass and (FINALLY) to a Southern Belle from "Old
Alabamie"   Two of my sons are English, One is Canadian and One is American.

I think I can lay claim to understanding BOTH cultures as well as anyone can.

Let me assure you that the differences between, even our two cultures, are
HUGE...Far bigger than anyone might imagine..especially an outsider looking at
the "Special Relationship"

The differences have to do with work ethic..even the whole POINT of work.  They
have to do with the whole concept of self reliance and self sufficiency. It is a
difference of the expectations and the right of the individual to better
himself.

 Above all they have to do with the whole concept of the rights and freedoms of
the individual and the role that government is allowed to play.

In my honest and considered opinion Britain has the right to claim to be the
originator of modern civilisation and democracy...Magna Carta and all that.  But
quite frankly, whatever lead they had in that field was lost around 230 years
ago (1776 and all that) when the banner was dropped by a society that had
developed and perfected a system that let you know your place and kept you in
it!!  It was picked up and carried forward by a new nation of ragamufins who are
STILL stumbling forward like a toddler taking its first steps.

The point is that this ungainly toddler still manages to head in the right
direction because ENOUGH PEOPLE STILL BELIEVE IN THOSE BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS AND
ARE PREPARED TO DIE TO DEFEND THEM.  And because government is reminded (not
often or forcibly enough) but nevertheless it IS constantly reminded that this
is Government OF the People BY the people and FOR the people.

In other words..the government is there for the peoples benefit NOT the other
way around.  And, as students of history we know that the INEVITABLE tendency is
for government to get bigger and for the people to slowly become RULED rather
than GOVERNED.

This is what has happened in the UK, it is why after years of firearms
registration without protest, it was a simple matter for the government to round
up all the "legal" firearms and leave the honest citizen without the means to
defend himself, not just against the DIShonest citizens who daily become
bolder...But against the TYRANNICAL Government that ALWAYS follows when absolute
power corrupts absolutely.

The point of all this..is that I am talking about two nations, that most
Citizens of the two think are "Very Similar"  Now extend that to OTHER
nations..who we KNOW are "Different" and you might begin to imagine just HOW
different they really are!!

Above all we must NEVER take the lead for our destiny from those who have so
miserably failed in theirs!

Rant Mode OFF!!

Robert Bastow

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <Teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 05:49:02 GMT

Citizenship is a "Work In Process"...Interminably!!  I have just had my
fingerprints taken for the FOURTH time in three years...Because "they were out
of date"!!!!!!

Hey I love this country..but perfect it ain't.

However I do appreciate y'awls hospitality.

Robert Bastow

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <Teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:12:29 GMT

"Firearms Banned in the UK!!"   Its a F******G JOKE!!!

The joke of it is, that ILLEGAL guns were always easy to come by in the UK.  As
a (legal) collector and shooter, I, and every other shooter I knew had
"Off-Ticket" weapons that ranged from pistols and rifles to full-auto weapons. I
had a Sten gun that I bought from an ex National Service Quartermaster's
clerk...Brand new in the original packing...for Five Quid!!

I know where that gun is RIGHT NOW..and could have it in my possesion within
hours of landing in the UK. From what my mother tells me about the fear she
feels daily, even in my sleepy little Pennine home village...I wouldn't feel
real safe without it!!

I still maintain a lot of contacts over there, some of them are
shooters/collectors.  They still have guns, only now, a 100% are illegal rather
than only 50% to 75%.

Only difference is, that now they don't have to keep their collections in a
police specified, police inspected "safe" room and they are no longer subjected
to the possibility of a random inspection by the police as previously allowed by
Firearms Certificate regulations.

Naturally the price of illegal weapons and ammunition has gone up some..but
availability is greater now! Like Prohibition in the USA, the "Illegality" and
the larger market that has has been created has resulted in a flood of weapons
being smuggled into the country.  They come in container loads, welded into
machinery frames car bodies, consumer electrics..You name it.

Any one over there feel the need for a little "Homeowner's Insurance" contact me
off list, once I establish your credentials I'll put you in touch with the right
"Insurance Agent"!!

When the Law is an Ass...people treat it as such!!

Robert Bastow

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Some advice needed
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@home.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:54:45 GMT

Mike Graham wrote:
> I need
> to point out that just because someone has 'been there and done that'
> doesn't mean they necessarily know what they're talking about.

>   In closing, I do *not* consider the venerable Mr. Bastow to be
> close-minded.  At least, not in the face of contrary evidence.  8-)

I think that is the crux of the matter Mike and the fine line that "old Farts"
have to walk!

On the one hand, is the desire to pass on knowledge..some of it gained in the
expensive, painful "School of Hard Knocks"  But a lot of it gained from people
who took the time to pass on THEIR experience and knowledge to ME..so that I
didn't have to make all the mistakes myself!!

As such, as the years pass, and your own Mentors shuffle on, one becomes
increasingly aware that one has become a *temporary* repository of a vast
accumulation of knowledge...most of it freely offered to anyone who would be
willing to use it.  There also comes and increasing awareness that this
knowledge is yours "IN TRUST" and with it comes a responsibility!

With increasing years, there comes too, an urgency, born of increased awareness
of mortality.  Mans achievements are the result of the SUM TOTAL of our
discoveries, and we cannot EVER afford a hiatus in the passing of that knowledge
from one generation to the next....to form the foundation upon which THEY will
build and discover things that I can only guess at.

That responsibility and that urgency multiply manyfold when there comes an
increasing fear "If I don't..who will?  If I can't..Who can"?  Increasingly, as
our schools cease to teach manual skills, as our Government and Industries side
step the responsibility to train new generations there begs the question..If not
HERE...WHERE?

The other side of that line (or more aptly..the other edge of the cutting tool)
is that development is continuous.  Things that WERE impossible or too dangerous
in "My Time" are considered so easy as to be passe' now.  I cannot hope to keep
up with it all..but I have to be aware of it.

Every time I unsheath my pen to try to help or clarify something, I risk
ridicule or a merciless drubbing at the hands of some "Young Turk" who really
DOES know better, because of recent new developments, but who yet hasn't come to
appreciate where the FOUNDATION of his new knowledge came from, and how he got
it!

Nevertheless, *I* have to be the one ready to apologise, to learn how to walk
softly and yet still carry a big stick!

S'okay..it goes with the territory!

So forgive this old fart, if sometimes I appear gruff or defensive...Yea verily,
some would say..even OFFENSIVE!!

As I said...It goes with the territory..Mine...AND yours!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: WHY are shapers dead, take two
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@home.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 05:56:25 GMT

kenneth knaell wrote:

> I guess that is what my stockbroker means when he says we (USA) have made a
> successful transition to a service based economy.  Too bad  ...
> ken knaell

You are going to hate me for this Ken..

Several years ago, recognising the inevitable trends and sick of being, like all
Engineering/Tech type PRODUCTIVE people..at the bottom of the food chain...

I QUIT the Engineering business in disgust, and spent a couple of unpaid years,
retraining, and re-establishing myself in a totally new career.

It took five more years of blood, sweat and tears to get to the point where I
could ease back..into virtual retirement in my mid-fifties...A few hours a week,
working from my home office, and in the average month I make almost as much as I
did in a year as a more "productive" member of society!

My new career?

A Licensed Stock Broker/Dealer, Investment Councillor, Estate Planning, and
Financial Adviser!

No it ain't fair!  The wrong people are being rewarded for the wrong things
nowadays.

No..I don't think it makes sense either!

But I finally reached the conclusion I couldn't beat them...So...

8^(
8^)     (mixed feelings!!)

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Off topic and Career as a Machinist
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 18:28:59 GMT

mact@door.net wrote:

> How many other people do metalworking as a career as well as a hobby.
>
> MikeT

I served my time as a Machinist/tool maker/Machine Tool Technician almost forty
years ago.

My career path took me, through Sales Engineering, through 65 countries on four
continents, Fetching me up on these welcoming (?) shores almost 25 years ago.

In the US and Canada I worked in and around the Machining/Toolmaking/Special
Machine/Automation/Robotics/CNC/ world for many successful years.  In that
period I started and succesfully ran three different companies, all machining
related.

Eventually I burned out..too many 24/7/365 jobs in an extremely competitive and
over-populated market segment. The coming of the NAFTA agreement literally wiped
out my customer base in Canada..overnight.  Within six months, my top ten client
companies, with whom I did over 2 million dollars worth of business a year, were
GONE!!..where the plants stood were CAR PARKS!!

It cost me everything I had including my Home, Marriage, and, for a while, my
Kids!

Starting over is never easy..But I decided I would do it in a different
climate..both for business, and where I would never have to shovel snow again
EVER!!!

I returned to Atlanta, studied and became a Stock Broker and Financial Adviser.
But I payed my way while studying and taking License Exams by working in a
machine shop..often doing jobs that I had a Laborer to do when I was an
Apprentice.  I also delivered Pitza!!

The Financial world was good to me..I made more money per month than I ever made
in a year as a Metal Worker.  A few years left me set for life with ongoing
"Residuals"..a few hours a week in my home office, keeps my little Financial
"Empire" running (I have about a dozen Full time and Part time Licensed Agents)

Meanwhile I remarried, bought a beautiful home, rebuilt my "Perfect" workshop
and got my Kids back.  I have two Jaguars, lots of friends and an "English" pub
within walking distance....Literally "My cup Runneth Over"

What is the point of all this?

Tomorrow or Monday, providing my Lawyer and Accountant don't unearth anything
untoward in their "Due Diligence", I will be buying a working Machine/Tool and
Die Shop..ten Employees in about 8000 sq feet.   The business is a mess..dirty
and with a lot of outdated equipment..but all the same doing over a million a
year with a large, diversified client base.

I will be "back in harness"..Doing what I love best..Doing what I DO best.
Another few years of 12/6 (No I ain't that stupid anymore!!) and then
Retirement..Again..Hopefully for the last time. (Yeh..Right!!)

So, my Fellow Metal Crunchers and Bashers...Follow your Heart.  Do that which
you truly enjoy.  You may never get rich..But you will always be Happy.

Sincerely,

teenut

From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Death of US Manufacturing Capacity?
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 11:43:56 GMT

Unfortunately, we are NOT still importing skills..There is a virtual moritorium
on immigration from first world countries.

The roadblocks put in the way of non-refugee, non-prefered nation immigrants are
draconian.

On and off it took me twenty three years of "living under cover" to get a "Green
Card"...Not exactly a warm welcome for someone who (though I do say it myself)
has quite a few, useful skills and experience!!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 12:02:05 GMT

But Russia..while (still??) a World power is definitely Second or Third World in
terms of the living standards of it's people.  It certainly was given preference
for immigration along with Ireland, Cuba, etc,.

The gates have virtually locked against other European countries.

teenut

From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: School Shop Equipment For Sale
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 13:21:48 GMT

Hugh Strong wrote:

> The important factor in the industrialization of the South
> was low Southern wages leading to investment in the South,
> not people giving up their jobs in New England to work for
> lower wages in Dixie.

Several other factors too..Lack of Union restrictions, cheaper land and
utilities, cheaper building costs, in part because of lower regulatory standards
and the elimination of insulation etc., to fend off sub-zero winters.

One US owned, Canadian Plant ..(one of my major automation clients) abruptly
upped sticks and shipped the plant to Tennessee...The saving on heating bills
alone was over a million dollars a year.  It was the advent of the NAFTA that,
freed from Canadian tariff barriers on their imports to that market enabled them
to make that move.

That pattern was followed by uncountable numbers of other US/Canadian Companies,
costing Ontario alone, IIRC, of the order of a quarter million highly paid
manufacturing jobs with a couple of years. Most of those companies avoided the
social and political backlash of mass firings by not "Closing Down" the
operation publicly.  Instead they snuck out the back door quietly..leaving once
bustling, Manufacturing Plants with several thousands of skilled workers as mere
"Shells" with a staff of a few dozen simply acting as a Warehousing and
Distribution Center for the Canadian Market!

A lot of those people displaced, are still struggling to get away from the "Hash
Slinging" level of jobs that replaced them.  Sure, the high, reported,
unemployment rate, eventually went down..But the Government doesn't report on
"Underemployment" "Dumbing Down" and the shattering of lives, dreams and
futures!!

The US Government, that was so happy to suck jobs out of Canada, made damn sure
the Borders were slammed shut to prevent the workers from migrating with them!!

But don't imagine that job, (NOT worker) migration has stopped at the Mexican
border!!

On the principle of "If you can't beat them..Join them", I upped sticks
myself..formed a Consortium of several Canadian Automation companies and headed
to Atlanta.  (Canadian automation is (was) some of the most advanced in North
America..Simply by dint of the high labor costs up there!)

However, once I got up and running here in the SE, I didn't find (as I had
hoped) a market of high levels of cheap labor content industries, on the verge
of turning to automation as wages and costs caught up with the rest of the USA.
What I DID find, was companies that came here for the reasons I cited above..But
who were quite willing to make the move AGAIN, when this area became
un-economical..Usually to the Mexican Border or far, far, beyond that!

The Social/Political fall out from that inevitability, has not yet even BEGUN to
register on US radar screens!!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 02:27:32 GMT

And like generations of immegrants before them they WILL "make it"  They will
then hammer their kids through schooland college, to get the education that will
mean they will never have to go through the deprivations and humiliations of
their parents.

And those kids will come up against the kids of comfortable middle class third,
fourth and fifth generation "Americans" and they will take names and kick ass!!

As well they should!

teenut

From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 03:19:14 GMT

PLAlbrecht wrote:
> Except for United Kingdom at 1.5
> percent [that's how teenut got in, I suppose :-)

No..Not a hope in hell of entering from the UK!!

I went to Canada and suffered the cold, economic depressions and unemployment,
long enough to get Canadian Citizenship, then drove over the border,
"Uninspected" for a "short Vacation" and, to all intents and purposes,
"Disappeared from the radar screens"

I should add that I obtained an SSN, became licensed by SEC and NASD...which
involved being fingerprinted by the FBI several times!!  I was self employed,
(Unemployable!!!!) successful, had several employees, paid all my taxes, and was
a good "citizen" for many years before being able to come out of the closet.

My penance was a heavy "penalty" (fine) for entering "Un-inspected" and staying
past my official welcome.  Plus a further two and a half years to be granted
permanent residence..during which time I could not leave the country under ANY
circumstances..but could be deported at a minute's notice!

Hey!  It is not a process to be undertaken lightly.  But where there is a dream
there is a vision, where there is a Vision there is a will, and where there is a
will, there is a WAY!

In my case it took twenty-three years to bring my dream to fruition!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Dremel Tools
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 17:23:33 GMT

Gary Coffman wrote:

> I wore out several Dremel tools doing circuit board modifications.
> Then I wised up and got one of the micro air die grinders (about the
> size the dentist uses). It turns up to 80,000 RPM and makes short
> work of circuit board modifications.

Those dental grinders are the "cats meow" for grinding hard steel too.

I used to have a small, side line tool repair business, in Canada, where we
repaired the wiped out pockets of inserted carbide tooling...Anything
from single pocket lathe tools to multi,multi pocket face broaches for the
automotive industry.

The best, most economical, way to do this, was by "wing on a gnat" type TIG
welding and grinding back to qualified dimensions with dental grinders and
diamond burrs. I had a couple of girls who could regularly work to tenth thou
limints this way.

Another technique we developed, was to build up, with a special mix of spray-on
metallizing, around a precise (negative)copy of the pocket, made from sinker EDM
carbon.  Even screw threads could be quickly and precisely reproduced by this
method.  If wee could see even a tiny portion of the original pocket, or the
screw threads, left in it, after a "wipe out", then we could economically repair
it.

BTW, trying to reweld, and then remachine with a Deckel Mill was a short trip to
insanity and insolvency!..

I was doing "Fire Sale" business with this little sideline..Until the US-Canada
NAFTA Agreement wiped out Canadian Manufacturing Industry!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Almost thought I had a lathe today
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:02:07 GMT

> I'm waiting for TeeNut to pass on!
>
> Jim xprtec@aol.com

Don't hold yer breath!!

Actually, this question of what arrangements to make for disposal of your kit
when you go the "That Great Machineshop in the SKY" is a perennial and thorny
one.

The thought of avaricious vultures descending on my shop and my widow gives me
the "Screaming Hab Dabs"

I am making a photographic record of every tool in my shop with notes on what it
cost, what it is worth and a likely source of buyer.  This includes a suitable
description for an advertisement and a suggested minimum/maximum price range. Of
course good quality pictures always help in the selling process.

This is made much easier by using electronic means..A digital camera in my case
and a file both printed and backed up on disc.  Someone else might prefer to
make an audio/video record.

These precautions would also be invaluable in case of fire or theft too..and
would certainly speed up and verify any insurance claim.

I am also adding codicils to my will as I go along..gifting choice articles to
close friends, who I know will apreciate and take good care of them.  This isn't
so much out of generosity on my part..as a way to put my mind at rest in the
knowledge that a little something of me will go on.

So be NICE to me Jim...and the rest of you Guys, or I will slip you a
"Mechanical Mickey Finn"!!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: My LUCKY Day!!!!!!
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:31:30 GMT

Monday was a day of frantic activity around the shop..Local Dealer delivered a
honkin' great Rambaudi turret/knee mill and took away (in exchange) two tired
old Bridgeports, a big German engine lathe, a Gros Band Filer and a throatless
shear.  That was at the ground level door.

At the dock door an eighteen wheeler delivered a 12' x 12' x8' crate containing
my new Fadal Four Axis Machining center..while the rigger unloaded a 12000lb
forklift truck to roll it into place.

First sign that all was not as it should be was when the forklift started to
tilt forward under the weight of the "9000lb" crate.  A couple of 300lb guys
riding shotgun on the back end fixed that, it was uncrated, placed in position
and hooked up to power and air without further drama.

Yesterday, the Local Dealer (Flint Machine Tools) Technician (Dennnis) arrived
to do the final assembly, alignment, calibration etc.  First thing he commented
on was that the Fadal was fitted with the Higher Torque 20 HP 10,000 Rev/min
spindle, complete with refrigeration unit for sustained high speed running.
This is an EXPENSIVE option and one which I certainly didn't order.  Consensus
was a general shrugging of shoulders..all concerned figured that Fadal had
shipped that option as they happened to have it on the only machine in stock.

The start up went without hitch and Dennis appeared in my office with a bunch of
sign-off papers which he proceeded to fill out for my signature.

A shadow crossed his brow.  "It says 3016*L* here..That machine doesn't have an
*L* on it!"  Both of us headed to the door, colliding on the way..."Nope" says I
"No *L*..Paint department musta left it off"  Meanwhile, Dennis is making a
closer inspection.  He straightens up, his face GREY!!  "Omigawd..they shipped
you a heavy duty, high torque full box way machine in error..this machine is
worth about 30 grand MORE than the one you ordered..I gotta call the office!"

Thinking quickly, I called my biggest guy over.."Kill him!" I said, "and put the
body in one of the new Haz. Waste barrels".  I thought Dennis (who stands five
feet-zip!) was going to throw up...

Double, triple checked the paper work...Sure 'nuff a monumental cock-up had sent
a 12000 lb 20 HP Full Box Way 3016 my way instead of the lighter, cheaper, 3016L
I ordered.  Dennis beat a hasty retreat back to his office..I called my Lawyer.
"Legally they have every right to demand the machine back" He said.."But concede
nothing 'til they make a move"

Their move came thirty seconds later..Mike the Sales Rep called.."I guess we
have a problem with the Fadal" he said.  "Waddaya mean WE?" I responded..."You
got a frog in yer pocket"?

As it happened, I was going over later to visit their headquarters for their
open day..

Sande (My Assistant) and I were greeted warmly.."So YOU"RE Mr. Bastow!!"

 Our way into the showroom was blocked by Mike accompanied by two (smiling)
GIANTS..Who introduced themselves as Don and Mike Flint, the Owners of Flint
Machinery.  Firmly but gently we were ushered into the Inner Sanctum..and the
door closed.  Sande and I clutched out cell phones..thumbs at the ready, She
with 911 plugged in..Me with my Lawyer's number at the ready.

"Our" Problem (I didn't mention frogs..) was discussed!  And Fadal's
error/dilema..A wrong computer key stroke had sent a machine my way, set to tear
new **sholes in toughened mold steel at phenomenal rates..and worth a
conservative $22 THOUSAND more than I had agreed to pay...Bit of a Mexican
Standoff loomed....

Mindful of my lawyer's advice I simply asked "So what would YOU guys like to see
happen?

"Merry Christmas" said the larger of the two (large) brothers and held out his
hand.  "Santa came early!"

I was dumbfounded.."You are KIDDING ME!!"  "Nope" "Fadal figured it was their
screw up; by the time they swapped it out and resold the big machine as used,
they might just as well "eat it" and wish you "Merry Christmas"

I wanted to cry.

Today is another (sure to be adventurous) day!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: My LUCKY Day!!!!!!
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 02:09:27 GMT

For a business..New Machines, like new cars, always have the best deals and the
best financing or lease rates.

When I buy a machine I look FIRST at the support I am going to get..A machine
that is running will make money..one that is standing idle due to a problem can
bleed you white just as fast.

Then I look at the cost/month of purchasing or leasing it..and compare that with
the wages I would have to pay to skilled men if I DIDN"T have it.

Bottom line is, that the $1200 per month it costs to lease the Fadal is a whole
lot less than the wages for even ONE semi-skilled operator.  My top Tool and Die
guys walk out with at least that amount per WEEK..some of them double that in a
good week.

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 02:48:41 GMT

cbearden wrote:

> Given the choice between Brains and Luck, I will take luck any day...
> Cecil in OKla

People often say that to me..but y'know...The harder I work..The luckier I get!

I make most of my own luck..and usually keep the many failures and
disappointments to myself.

"Luck" is all about making sure you are at the right place at the right time.

"Luck" is about recognising the opportunity when it comes.

"Luck" is about making sure you are ready and able to take advantage of that
opportunity.

Above all.."Luck" means having the guts to pull the trigger!!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:09:17 GMT

That would be gross..Cost to me...much higher!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:03:25 GMT

I still don't have a clue who "RAH" is..nor do I much care!

But I firmly believe in the "Best employees..rewarded handsomely approach.

Mistakes, honestly made are treated as a learning experience...

Their Family requirements come first..

Their safety, wellbeing and self respect is my primary goal..

I believe in "Sharing the Wealth"

I provide them with the very best of working conditions, equipment and
tooling...

I bail them out of jail..

I send them home when they are tired..or just plumb beaten by frustration...

Every one of them..Down to my "Head of Maintainence and Janitorial Services" has
his or her own business card. They are PROUD of who they are, what they do and
the Company they work for.

Any one of them can borrow the company truck for personal hauling..or one of the
Jags for a special date!!

First job was to have hot water and a $5000.00 new bathroom, toilet and shower
installed.

They have volunteered to build their own airconditioned, fully equiped
lunch/rest/recreation room with company provided materials..on their own time!!

Four have already been sent on three day CNC programming/Operating courses..on
company time..and got a raise for it!!

Not bad for the first month in business..with a hitherto rag-tag bunch of casual
"Contract" workers.

All I ask in return is total loyalty, the willingness to follow instructions, to
learn new skills and work habits and enjoy the feeling of ranking with "The
Best"

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Stethoscopes&edgefinding
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 05:22:26 GMT

A favorite trick of Millwrights was to clench the fist over the handle of a
large screwdriver..or the head of a hammer..and press the back of the fist
against the ear, while the other end touched the bearing housing of a machine.
It was very easy to pinpoint a grumbling bearing or a dicky seal this way.

I quit doing it after clenching the head of my 2 1/2 lb Ball Pein Hammer in one
hand...and pressing the other against the spindle housing of a rapidly spinning
50 Taper mill.

Of course, the end of the handle slipped in way of the drive dogs!

I went clear over the next machine, saw stars for hours and had THE most "Entire
Side of Face" Shiner for weeks.

I decided "Machine Tool Fitter" was my calling, very shortly after that!!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Anyone Seen Teenut??
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 05:34:13 GMT

Wrong..All wrong!!

Yes, 'ole teenut's been busy...

I HAVE been on a junket to N'Orleans ($1100.00 on food and booze ALONE, for me
and the Missus..Friday lunch through Sunday lunch) (Plus $50.00 on Tums when we
got back!!)

I also had the "Official" Opening of the new company....

Sold a couple of OLD Bridgeports for $900 each (I couldn't hardly GIVE them away
in Atlanta!!)...

Ordered a new CNC Lathe...

Spent two days in hospital with pneumonia...

Made several, almost full day trips, to see a Pneumocologist, a Thoracic
Surgean and an Oncologist plus a dozen X-Rays and CAT Scans.

Yes, I do have Lung Cancer..I go for exploratory surgery on Wednesday to find
out what type and at what stage.  At best I will lose a lung..I don't yet want
to contemplate the worst!!

So you see, I have had my hands full..I have been lurking whenever possible and
haven't missed a message.  You guys seem to be coping quite well and I guess I
just didn't feel up to starting another war!!

By the way, I HAVE quit smoking (HELLO-O!) so save me the lectures (and all the
herbal cures)  My chin is WELL up and, in actual fact..I haven't felt this good
in a LONG time.

And have no fear..They ain't going to get me THIS easy!!

Best wishes to all.  I'll talk at you towards the end of the week.

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:55:48 GMT

He's ba-ack!  ;^)

Preliminary results not as optimistic as we I hoped..

Stage3.. Inoperable at present.

Not the end of the world though..Hopefully, treatment with Radiation and
Chemotherapy will reduce it to the point where it WILL be operable.

Thanks for all your support Guys and Gals..It makes me proud to be a member of
this Group.

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Update and body piercings
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 03:01:44 GMT

So many people have sent me messages of good will and prayers for a safe
recovery that I cannot begin to thank everyone personally..So please bear with
me if I use this forum to express my deep gratitide and to bring folks who have
enquired, up to date on the situation.

I has been confirmed that I have small-cell cancer of the right lung and that it
has already spread, beyond surgical reach into the lymph nodes of my center and
upper chest.  Recent byopsies, A mediastinoscopy, (they cut your throat and
shove a tire iron down the inside-front of your ribs (OUCH)!) a bone scan, a
liver and brain scan, and another cat scan of my chest show no apparent spread
beyond that..So far so good.  It means my life expectancy without treatment is
currently four to six months..rather than two to four!!

Of course I AM going to start immediate treatment.  On Wednesday I go for one
further test..a bone marrow extraction (OUCH again!) and will have a "Venal
Portal" installed under my left collar bone.  This is to provide a convenient
"Filler Cap" for chemotherapy..the Idea being to dump it straight into a major
vein close to the heart so as to protect the smaller veins of my arms etc from
the extremely corrosive nature of these concoctions. (Platinum based I
understand, plus some other road spill special stuff!!)

I will start Chemo on Thursday, I will have it again on Friday and Monday and
thence three days every month for the next six months.  On Friday I will also
start a daily regimen of radiation to my chest and brain.  This is a pretty
tough regimen to endure..but the first objective is to get into remission and
still be alive six months from now!

So, I guess I may be feelng a little out of sorts over the next few days.
However there is only one acceptable outcome in this fight and there will only
be one winner..teenut!!!  So watch this space!

Meanwhile..speaking of body piercings...I have decided I will be quite
disappointed if I don't loose all my hair..Always wanted to let the Barbary
Pirate in me loose.  So..I am going to shave it all off anyway.. and while I am
about it..have my ear pearced for one of my wife's one carat diamond studs!!!

Cheers to all,

teenut the Pirate

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Positive Mental Attitude
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 14:54:30 GMT

Bill wrote:

> My prayers are with you, keep on fighting that SOB with the Scyth and
> never give up!

Thanks Bill and all of you guys for your Prayers and your encouragement.  I have
saved and printed over five hundred email messages from every corner of the
globe.  One day I will give them to my Children to let them know that their Old
Man DID make a difference!

I have had a plaque over my desk for many years with a quote from Winston
Churchill, that reads:

"When you are going through Hell...Keep on Going!"

The more I learn of Cancer Survivorship (and I HAVE become a bit of a student
recently!!) the more I understand that, it really IS a question of positive
mental attitude and sheer, bloody minded determination, that usually makes the
ultimate difference.

This has nothing to do with "wishfull thinking"..you cannot THINK this beast
into oblivion.

It all has to do with the fact that Modern Medicine DOES have cures available IF
you can stand up to them!!!  Cancer is such an invidious enemey..a real "Fifth
Column"..Kinda like a Viet Cong attack on a US Fire Base where the yanks had to
call down friendly fire support ON THEIR OWN HEADS to winkle out the
enemy..often taking heavy casualties among their own ranks to achieve victory.

Fighting Cancer is a similar battle..The past few weeks have seemed
interminable..awaiting the many appointments, operations, procedures, tests,
biopsie, evaluations etc while waiting to hear whether one is going to live or
die before Fall.

But is has NOT been wasted time!

It has been a cathartic time of self evaluation and mental preparation. A time
to overcome the first shock and disbelief, to let the self pity and despair run
its course, to come to terms with the reality of the situation and to gather
ones strengths and resourses for the upcoming Battle of a Lifetime!!

Yes I am scared..I am going to walk, for a long time, in the Valley of the
Shadow of Death!!  But I am NOT AFRAID to go where I need to go, to endure what
I will have to endure and to KEEP ON DOING IT for as long as it takes to prove I
am the MEANEST SOB in the Valley!!

I have elected to undergo simultaneous treatments of chemotherapy powerful
enough to corrode human tissue and Radiation treatments to my head and chest at
the same time!  Part of the delay has been the battery of tests and mental
evaluations I have been subjected to, in order to determine that I am Mentally
and Physically STRONG enough to survive it and to persevere through the pain and
misery of it, long enough and OFTEN enough to beat this monster!

Bottom line is, that I am EXTREMELY FORTUNATE to be, otherwise in RUDE GOOD
HEALTH!!!!  My Oncologist says I have a grip on Life.."like a Junk Yard Dog!!"
and is willing to allow me to go WAY beyound the normal limits of patient
subjection to borderline lethal treatments!

So, Yeah!  Im Scared!  But NOT AFRAID!  I am NOT looking forward to the next few
months during which I will have to push myself to the brink of death, the limits
of pain, and beyond all present concepts of my own determination and
endurance...AND KEEP ON KEEPING ON!

In the words of Winston Churchill's last and shortest recorded speech...Given at
the Commencement Address of Charterwell..his Old Middle School.  It was very
shortly before his death at a time when he appearead very infrequently in
public, and the Worlds Press were gathered to hear what this Magnificent Old
Warrior would have to say to a bunch of junior teenage boys, as they prepared to
enter Adulthood.

He stood in front of his young audience in that characteristic, stooped manner
he had. Hands behind his back gathering up his Doctor's Robes, scowling at the
boy's upturned faces over his half rimmed glasses and seeming to look deep into
the soul of each one in turn, for a looong time before he spoke...

And when he did he said (Here in it's entirety)..

"Never,(quietly) never, Never(louder) NEVER! (roaring!!) NEVER!  I tell you
NEVER, NEVER QUIT!!!"

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Update and body piercings
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 03:48:25 GMT

Again, thanks to all of you for your messages

I a have seen my enemy and it is within!!!

I went today to have a high definition CAT scan done of my chest so that on
Friday they will dial me in on the Radiation Treatment Machine to very precise
co-ordinates..Getting ready to call down Friendly Fire on my own position!!

Six weeks ago it tooa very keen, trained eye to spot the lesion. Not now! It is
as big as my fist with a couple of outreaching fingers that go clear across my
lung.  My windpipe is completely enveloped and the center mass of Lymph Nodes in
my chest is completely involved. Easy to see why it is non-operable!

I am amazed that I remain symptom free..no cough since my pneumonia cleared, no
pain or discomfort whatsoever, no difficulty breathing..It is easy to see why
this is such a fast and deadly killer!  At this rate I would have been dead
within two months and probably may not have been diagnosed until the last week
or so.

Thank God for Georgia Pollen and my dear Wife who came home from school early
and insisted on taking my protesting butt to the emergency room.

Thank God for a wide awake Radiologist there, that spotted "something not
right"..Those X-Rays and Cat scans were subsequently reviewed at my
Father-in-Laws Clinic by some of the top Radiologists and Oncologists in North
America..Not one of them was prepared to make a call on it at that stage!!

Somebody up there decided to give me a second chance!

Hey! Guess what?

I get free valet parking now, every time I go to the Cancer Center..Never get
that in Canaderrr!

More needles tomorrow..Bone Marrow aspiration, and then they implant the "port"
in my chest.

Take care.

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Parting tool trouble
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 02:57:59 GMT

eberlein wrote:

> I routinely use a cutoff tool to start a groove into a solid bar
> supported by the tailstock, and then complete the cut with a hand held
> hack saw.  Probably lousy technique, but the groove prevents the hack
> saw from jumping out of the cut.  Using a high spindle speed makes the
> hack saw cut relatively easily.  I disengage the tailstock before the
> cut is complete (usually, but not always).  Part falls right off the
> tailstock when cut is done.  Haven't broken anything yet, tho' I doubt
> Teenut would approve of the method.

I'll guarantee teenut would sniff at the very idea!!

In my "Bob" days I once fired a kid for using a hacksaw on the lathe!

Mind you..he did leave six saw scars in the previously pristine, hand scraped
bed of a VERY expensive toolroom lathe!! If I hadn't fired him I would have
killed him!

I did rehire him the following Monday though..he turned out to be one of the
best Tradesmen I ever trained and went on to become the Toolroom Superintendant
of a major Aerospace Contractor.

First you have to get their attention!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: metalwork and oncology
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 03:54:23 GMT

One of the many questions I have been asked frequently, when registering with a
new Specialist is "Have you ever been exposed to known carcinogens"

My usual reply of "Yeh. Hundreds" is usually met with disbelief..until I reel a
few off...I have waded knee deep in PCBs, worked downwind of the source of the
biggest ever UK Dioxin scare, I have chipped endless feet of asbestos lagging
off steam pipes, built asbestos board tool sheds, Fired off hundreds of 1,1,1,
Trico Fire extinguishers as thhe Export Director ot Englands biggest
manufacturer, worked inside scores of charged up, trico laiden Drycleaning
machines.as a sevice engineer for the manufacturer, ditto in Dye Plants with
some REALLY "iffy" heavy organic chemicals...

Two packs of Camels a day for forty years seems almost co-incidental!

teenut

(Sore as hell tonight after a day of bone marrow aspirations and the surgical
implanting of a "port" in my shoulder. It remains in my shoulder, covered by a
plastic cup to protect the needle they left in place ready for a 9.00 AM first
session with chemotherapy)

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 01:38:03 GMT

I am in Atlanta GA and if I need some weed I can score from any of the kids
getting off the local school bus!!!

Or any one of my employees..all seem to have adequate sources.

Or my Wife can confiscate some at her school.

Or my Oncologist will write me a prescription!!

As it is, the drugs the have now do a remarkeable job (So they should alt
$160.00 for two tablets a day!!)

I was able to go straight from an eight hour chemo session to my local Pub and
have a prime rib and three pints of Caffreys..no problem!

The beginning of the session WAS a problem though..the needle left in my port
aftert surgery yesterday proved to me the wrong type and had clogged.  So they
had to remove it and replace with a fresh one...three times before they hit
it!!  This thing is 3/4" below the surface and very swollen for the
surgery..VERY tender too!  They have to probe and poke to get the needle exactly
into the right place.

I thought the Bone Marrow Aspiration, yesterday, was sweet agony..this had it
beat by an order of magnitude!!!

Still, we got through it, and that needle will remain in place now for the next
three sessions on Friday and Monday.

Thanks for all your scores of messages guys..I feel unbeatable!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Tool Sharpening Text????
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 02:44:40 GMT

Garry wrote:

> Well if you cn't find the post I am not sure you can do a drill.
>
> I am reposting it here below as it is a classic I think. I do not
> think Teenut will mind the repost and sure hope he doesn't. It is also
> available in Deja News under drill sharpening just as I stated.
>
> It really should be put in the faq as well as posted to the drop box.
> Robert would you you allow it to be posted to the drop box..
>
> The text of the original message follows...The good stuff starts at a
> about the point
>  "6 Million Dollar Bionic Darex"  ;^)

Feel free to use any of my stuff anyway it will benefit anyone.  A lot of (Now
gone) old timers spent a lot of time and patience teaching me the easy way to do
things right, and I welcome any opportunity to pass it on.

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: OT : Gun Siezed at Toronto Airport
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 02:57:50 GMT

eberlein wrote:

> PS.  Really want a interesting trip?  Fly into Montreal from the US and
> forget your passport/birth certificate.  Makes "cluster f**k" take on
> new meaning!

Want a REAL interesting trip!!

Fly into Tripoli Libya without the ability to read AND fill out the pages of
entry forms in ARABIC..no they WON'T help you! YES I could..but it took three
hours to get it right for them! Bastards!!

Or Fly into Afghanistan without a valid visa! Yes they WILL put you in a holding
cell, under armed guard, and put you on the next flight out regardless of
destination..in my case Sofia, Bulgaria, on Aeroflot!  Flew right back in the
following day to be met this time and cleared through, by the British Embassy
wallah that was supposed to meet me the first time!  Bastards!!

One day I will write a book!!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: RCM causes bad habits
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 04:26:55 GMT

There IS a simpler answer!

Let teenut..with 38 contiguous (but not continuous) years of Marriage..on # 4
(or 5 I forget) right now..and 39 years of machine addiction, tell you the
secret to eternal happiness.

Brace yerselves!!

My Wife..like any good Southern Gal was brought up to shop..professionally!!
She and her Mother (the Grand Dame) and Sister..do not go "Shopping"  They set
out to "Work the Mall"

I watched and learned from my Father-in-Law..A true Professional!!!

Every three to six months you have to sacrifice..if required...a whole weekend.
Get used to the pain and the dreariness of sitting for accumulated hours outside
an endless stream of expensive stores, while the girls go in and terrorise the
help.  Later, rather than sooner, one or all will emerge and say  "I just saw
X..its beautiful..its expensive..what do you think?"

Grit your teeth, smile and say..."You go right ahead and get it darling!!"..They
knew you would!!

NOW comes the MASTER STROKE  When they emerge, burdened with heaps..(it appears
like a lifetimes supply of shop rags to you)  They always have a prepared
routine of chattering to each other about the stuff they would have loved to
get..but didn't...because they (Lyin' B*****) were concerned that they had spent
too much!!

NOW you REALLY grit your teeth and send em RIGHT BACK IN....With instructions to
keep on buying till they think they have saved you enough!  You do this several
times..until THEY are exhaused!  It takes a MAN with real staying power to do
it!!

Dear God it is hard the first couple of times!!!

It may at first seem to be an Expensive Strategy!!

But!!!! As an investment it will repay itself a thousand fold.

You see it will take them another six months for them to pluck up enough brass
neck to demand you accompany them again.

Meanwhile, seven days a week for six months you can spend your nuts off on any
kinda good stuff that takes your fancy.  RIGHT UNDER THEIR PRETTY NOSES!!!!  And
they won't dare say a damned thing!!! George (my Father in Law) went out and
bought him a twin engined Cessna!!! And a red Pickup!!  He is looking now at a
new two seat Jag and he is 74 years old!!!

Try it..it works..it was my way to the eternal happy zone of being an addict and
not giving a good goddam about it!!

teenut the content.

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Good News at Last
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 18:01:16 GMT

This last few weeks, as some of you know, I have been going through both
Chemotherapy and Radiation Treatment.

Over-all the effects havn't been as bad as I expected..though there have been
periods when I have been deathly ill..Generally I am in better shape than I have
felt for years!!  Go Figure!

Recent test results show that I am standing up to the treatments so well that
they are going to step up the scheduling.

More importantly..Sparing you the gross details..There are signs that we have
this thing on the run!!!!!!!!!

Now to kick and then kill the bastard while it is down!!  No pity, No quarter,
No Prisoners!!

Again, thanks to all of you for your good wishes and prayers, I know that sumpn'
bigger than me is at work out there.

For the last forty years I have hovered between Agnosticism and Atheism. I have
often heard it said that there are no Atheists in Foxholes...I am here to tell
you...There are very few with Lung Cancer either!!!

Perhaps the Good Lord just wanted to get my attention!!

teenut

From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Small lathe questions...
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 00:51:34 GMT

I used to have the statistics..until I lost interest and dumped them.  But one
of our Canadian Readers may be able to come up with the number of manufacturing
jobs the NAFTA agreement cost Canada.  Purely from a faulty memory cames a
figure of 400,000 in Southern Ontario alone.

Whole manufacturing plants were loaded on trucks and sent to the USA and
Mexico.  Plants employing 600 to 3000 manufacturing employees became
"Distribution Centers" with 12 to 60 clerical staff.  This was so that the
companies involved could avoid the Political Incorrectness of "Shutting
Down"..the work and workers could be quietly phases out over a period of a few
months.

Others followed a "Scorched Earth" policy.  In order to avoid any likely hood of
being Politically pressured into returning to Canada..not only was the equipment
moved and the workforce laid off..but the buildings were sold and flattened and
reverted to "Car parks"

Because of higher wage and overhead costs in Canada..plus the need to build,
insulate and heat plants for a 9 month winter!! Canadian manufacturing became,
of neccesity, far more efficient and automated that its US counterparts.
Consequently the Canadian Automation Industry was relatively larger and more
advanced than its US counterparts.

With the Canadian market place decimated, I formed, in 1991 a Consortium of some
of the most technically advanced Canadian Companies..In the fields of Automated
Parts orientation, feeding and assembly.  High speed automated manufacture,
assembly and in-process gauging..including automated vision and parts
recognition capabilities.  High speed packaging and custom designed (mainly
gantry and track type) Industrial Robotics.

I brought this Consortium south to where the new market "Should" have been about
to develop.

I chose to begin in the South East..in Atlanta..simply because I had lived hear
before and preferred the climate and topograpgy to that of the South west.

It didn't take long to realise that Automation was never going to come to the
South East!!  Most of the Manufacturing Facilities had been set up here to take
advantage of lower paid, non-union, workforces, lower heating and other
operating costs, lower standards of building code, safety and polution controls
etc etc.

It came as quite a shock to enter busy plants here and literally, take a step
back into the 19th Century.  Lines of cheap "sweated" labor for whom
"automation" meant a power screw driver.  More depressingly were plant managers
determined that..when costs here eventually rose to unacceptable levels, the
movement would NOT be to greater Manufacturing efficency and automation..but to
Mexico and the Pacific Rim countries where cheap labor and lower standards and
cost could still be found!!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Chuckle time..teenut
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 06:35:59 GMT

One of the many side effects of the chemo and radiation treatments is a sudden
swing in body temperature..from sweating in cold rooms to shivering in warm
ones.

This evening, though warmly wrapped I got a real shivery spell.  My Robe simply
wasn't enough, so my wife went and fetched her heaviest one.  Hey it is Bright
yellow Candle wick..but in the security of my own home..what the hey!

Soon I warmed up and made a trip to the bathroom.  On the way I caught a glimps
of this person, in a large hall way mirror..Bald head, earstud, full length
saffron robe..and something in my mind went CHING!

CHING, ching ching CHING! Ching ching CHING  Hare Krishna  Hare Krishna

Going down to the Airport tomorrow..between sessions..to make some SERIOUS
Coin!!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Any one hear from Teenut?
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 01:12:19 GMT

teenut is alive and ...well...better than he has ever been!!

Coupla trips to ER and a couple or three days in ICU will make a new man out of
anyone!

Bad news was a huge, painful, debilitating (but not "life threatening") (Yeh!
Right!) Thrombosis in my upper chest/neck area (Subclavial and jugular vein)
that resisted all attempts to reduce it via Coumoudin and similar blood thinning
medication.  After a week of agony (I look like I went ten rounds with Sonny
Liston..massive swelling and bruising)..during which I was (literally and
repeatedly) told to "Take  two tylenol and call me monday!!)..they finally put
me on the table, did a full ultrasonic scan, shoved IV's and tubes and sleeves
into every vein in my body,catheterised every available orifice, and started a
three day infusion drip (Though SIX perforated tubes etc) of some magic "Liquid
plumber" medication (TPA or somesuch) plus they angioplastied (Roto-routered)
several areas for good luck.

During this time I was declared close to imminent death from anything so
insignificant as a paper cut or a sneeze and incarcerated in ICU..Frankly I
would rather be on death row!! The beds are more comfortable!..certainly the
food is better! (Do you know they don't have bathrooms in ICU'S!)

Then they abruptly declared me cured, unhooked everything, jerked all the tubes
out (some a yard long!) and sent me home.

Co-incidentally, the thrombosis was a direct result of the botched surgical
insertion of a "Porta-Cath"..a "Dune Heart Plug" type of device supposed to make
it easier for them to give me IV medication!!  I musta had forty or fifty IV
insertions done and/or blood samples taken last week alone..as a direct result
of this "great leap forward in Medical Science"  I am having the portacath
removed next week..as soon as my damn surgeon gets back from vacation.
Apparently he got it in sideways, pinched a vein, caused some scar tissue..and
the thrombosis was inevitable!

The upside was that, one of the diagnostic procedures was a full
Brain/neck/thorax CT Scan (ever see your own heart beat??) to eliminate any
possibility that this was caused by further development or metastis of my lung
cancer.

Guess what?  The first two Docs to review the screens couldn't FIND the original
tumor..the one that was fist sized six weeks ago!!  It has shrunk
dramatically..I KNEW all those lumps I kept coughing up were BAD bits!!  They
did find a previously un-noticed grape sized tumor, isolated in the lower,
center of my right lung..(no immediated threat)..so that is getting the full
"Fire for effect" treatment now..as well as my concentrated powers of loathing
and hatred!!..so it is history too!!

I have finished my first batch of Radiation ("Robert's off to the Heat Treater's
again" was the quip from the lads in the shop)   Half way through ChemoTherapy
and there is no doubt in my mind that this is a "Done Deal"

I am feeling much better than I have for months and was able to get a full day
in the shop yesterday and today...too busy to be sick!! Got medical bills to pay
too!  JEEZ do I ever have medical bills!!;^)

Keep asking the dumb questions..I'll keep coming up with the dumb answers.

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: OT-Crime in the UK/US
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 01:36:23 GMT

Gunner wrote:

> In the Absence of Guns
>
> In Britain, defending your property can get you life.
>
> by Mark Steyn

Here, Here!

Bravo

Author!  Author!

THANK YOU FOR TELLING IT AS IT IS!!

My 82 year old Mom dare not walk the 3/4 mile to the center of the rural village
I was born and brought up in..for fear of being knocked on the head as was her
86 year old neighbor last year..In BROAD FUCKING DAYLIGHT!!!!!

I now live just outside the center of the "Crime City of the USA"..Atlanta
GA...where "kids" (13-19yr old drug thugs) are shot dead every day  Good
riddance!!  I sleep secure at night..don't worry if I have set the alarm or
locked the door.  I am well armed, so are my neighbors..the Perps know it and
wouldn't dare risk their scraggy necks knocking off an armed citizen.

Without my second amendment rights I may as well post a sign in my yard..GUN
FREE NEIGHBORHOOD..and wait in terror for my turn to come!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: OT- Update on Gunner
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:51:14 GMT

Gunner,

You probably know enough of me..where I am from, what I have done and what I
believe in..to accept a couple of words of advice from 'ole teenut.

I have been where you have been, where you stand now..and here's the edge I have
on you Gunner..where you are going!!

Two principles I have bitterly learned, two principles I have known of since
youth..but resisted over and over, at enormous personal cost..until I could pay
no more and had to come to terms with, accept, and learn to live by

1) Life is too short for bitterness and revenge or "payback".."know when to fold
'em"..walk away, move on and let nature's miracle healer..time do it's thing.
Trust me my friend..the time will come when this is all a distant memory, that
when, or if, you ever think about it..you will wonder what all the fuss was
about..and FOR SURE you will feel proud of yourself for having taken the high
ground..not lowered yourself for a fleeting moment of revenge.

2) Chinese Proverb.."Man can never cross same river twice..Man change. River
move."

You can NEVER go back..The circumstances are different..you are not the same
person .  Move on and don't look back Gunner..Believe me..every step you take
will reduce the pain exponentially.  Right now you are standing too close to the
fire..burning like hell and..fer chrissakes..wanting to get closer!  Of COURSE
it hurts, yer dumb f**k..get the heck away from it..the pain will receed with
time and distance.

Every moment you resist, as I used to, is just another moment of wasted pain and
life. Move on and don't look back.

We love you Gunner.

Sincerely,

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: He's Baa-ack
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 02:33:16 GMT

Back on watch after a few days stroll though the valley of the shadow!

Fired four employees..including one Charlatan that cosy me $40.000 hard cash!

Hired five new people..top of the line (after a few days observation and
guidance)  Now got the "Good beginners" I need!!

Spent a week eating crow pie and pulling chestnuts out of the fire.

Five days rounding up cash for payroll.

Four days in radiation!

Two days fixing my HT Furnace.

One day (today) first day of three..nine hours in chemotherapy..finished with a
14 oz ribeye, two pints of Caffreys Irish Ale and a glass of red wine

Sign on to RCM and find 496 unread messages!  Catch up ASAP!

teenut

OBTW..Feeling better than I have in YEARS!!

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: He's Baa-ack
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 02:52:34 GMT

Robert Bastow wrote:

> Back on watch after a few days stroll though the valley of the shadow!
>

> One day (today) first day of three..nine hours in chemotherapy..finished with a
> 14 oz ribeye, two pints of Caffreys Irish Ale and a glass of red wine
>
> Sign on to RCM and find 496 unread messages!  Catch up ASAP!
>
> teenut
>
> OBTW..Feeling better than I have in YEARS!!

This could be a LOOOOOONG Night!

They "Hydrated" me with several gallons of fluid and then gave me a shot to make
me pee every five minutes!

Sat here with eyes out like organ stops, popping $75.00 anti-barf pills to avoid
losing a $40.00 steak and ale supper!

The things I do for the advancement of medicine!!

teepeenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:53:29 GMT

Steve Rayner wrote:

> When I went through chemo, they put about 16 litres of fluids through me
> during each treatment! Man! Talk about being "Hydrated"!

That's about what they put into me..Plus I followed it with a couple of pints of
ale!!....Permapee!

Feeling better today than I have in three years!!

later

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: what machinist get paid
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 00:48:23 GMT

mact wrote:

> I did a search on monster.com for machinist and noticed that most of the
> ads offered
> a wage of 8.00/hr to 25.00/hr with most being in the 15.00 - 20.00/hr so
> the 17.00/hr that the company in Colorado was offering is not far off
> the mark.
> michael

$17.00 wouldn't hack it in Atlanta for a GOOD Machinist.  A machinist who isn't
GOOD ain't worth beans!!

My lowest paid guy is on $21.00 and learning fast..Can't wait 'til he is worth
$25.00..I sometimes give a dollar an hour payraise per week if someone is a fast
learner and has the right attitude.

My Philosopy is to "Share the Wealth" ..I am nothing without my skilled people
and I want them to feel as though they are as much a part of the operation AND
the rewards, as I am.  Of course, when something goes wrong and a two hundred
dollar chunk of material gets scrapped..I alone take the hit..which is why I pay
myself more than I pay them!!  I am trying to work out a monthly shop production
bonus plan that will address that kind of problem.

My intention is to introduce employee ownership as soon as possible..on a free
issue, bonus basis.  Eventually, my plan is to hand over the entire company to
the employees when my time comes to retire.

The days of "Robber Baron" employers are over.

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 13:01:34 GMT

AZOTIC wrote:

> >Given the right apptitude and attitude AND the opportunity to learn
> >daily in an environment where it is encouraged and from people who take
> >an interest and the time to explain things, a machinist can go from
> >beginner to top rate in a relatively short time..three to five years.
> >
> >teenut
>
> Well said Robert.
>
> I feel this is a big problem in our current
> system of education.  The education system needs to be changed to allow people
> that have the talent and desire to pursue the industrial arts an oppertunity
> to do so. There should be a choice of
> education available to students, and
> those students who wish to become
> involved in industry should be given the
> proper education in basic shop skills
> and current machine tool technology to
> make them a valuable asset to thier
> employer.
>
> Whats your point of view on this subject ?
>
> Best Regards
> Tom.

I can't agree more!

When I lived in Canada I was HEAVILY involved with Mohawk College and Hamilton
Industrial Training Board...as a Member of the Metal Cutting Group Board of
Advisors.  We not only ensured that the right curriculum was set to train
Machinist/toolMaker Apprentices..but I used to hire a half a dozen at a time on
Co-Op programs as part of their training.  No, their wages were NOT subsidised!
I took a personal interest in teaching them every step of the way and they did a
wonderful job!

But I am proud to say that we turned out some first class Lads and Lasses, many
who went on to supervisory positions in the Industry in Canada.

Here in the US I can't get any of the Vo-Tech people to return my phone calls!!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Sherline mill and coolant-flooding system?
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@Nospamhotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 00:15:42 GMT

Mike Graham wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:44:49 GMT, Edward Haas wrote:
>
> >       --If you have access to an air compressor, consider using a spray
> >mist system.
>
>   Call me paranoid, but I worry about breathing that mist.

ME TOO!!!

I tossed the systems I found in my shop when I took over and banned their
use..PERIOD!

This was well before I was diagnosed with lung cancer...So that had nothing to
do with my decision.

What I did know, was that even my leather lungs, (pre-cancer 3 packs a day of
Camels x 47 years!!) used to start acting up and set me in a coughing spasm as
soon as I got near one of those infernal mist systems.

Be Warned!

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: OT and I don't care!!
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@Nospamhotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:45:54 GMT

Had some very welcome news today, after a CT Scan yesterday and a meeting with
my Oncologist this morning..I am now considered to be Cancer Free..In complete
remission!

Yee-Hah!

Have to have a checkup in three months and the Doc told me it will take three to
six months to clear the Chemo Therapy from  my system.  Return to full health
and strength will take at least that long.

I took the time out to say "Thanks" to 'Im Upstairs, 'Er Indoors, and now, to
all those friends out there who have been so supportive during this difficult
time of my life.

Thanks Guys, it IS appreciated.

teenut
Cancer Survivor

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Hi Guys!  SS100 Information
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@Nospamhotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:04:02 GMT

Hi Guys,

A timely reminder from Fitch reminded me that I have been absent from these
pages too long.

I am doing much better now..The road to recovery from all the Chemo Has been
long and hard and I still have a long way to go.  In addition to the lung
cancer, I had an operation to suposedly??repair a wrecked shoulder and recently
contrived to break my damned ankle..thoroughly.

The new company is doing well..we just started a second shift..Much of my time
has been occupied in bringing the Magnum Mauser actions into production.  These
are selling quite well with orders from South Africa taking the lead (Surprise!)

It is getting time to honorably retire (Not sell!!) the XJV12 and I have been
hankering after an SS100 replica built by Suffolk Engineering in the UK.  Do any
of our readers have any knowledge of the breed?  I am lead to understand it is a
VERY close replica (not Cheap) and available fully finished or in a kit form.

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Trouble at 't mill again!
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@Nospamhotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:54:49 GMT

Regeretfully my recent CAT-Scans have shown that my troubles are by no means
over...The Small Cell Lung Cancer..as is its frequent habit... Has spread to the
right side of my Brain, my lower spine and pelvis, my ribs and lungs and even
the shoulder I recently had operated on for bone spurs, plus the ankle I
recently broke. "Riddled" would be the operative word!!

I have already started radiation treatment on the brain etc. and a decision will
be made totday whether to start straight back on chemo-therapy concurrent with
the radiation.

This promises to be a tough one to beat so your prayers and good wishes will be
much appreciated.  Unlike the Last bout with Lung Cancer, this already hurts
like hell and I am scared of deterioration in brain and bodily functions.
Already I could start my own Medlin Cartel with the pain killers they are
feeding me..and I am noticing some confusion and memory losses. Please excuse
any spelling or grammatical mistakes that may crop up.

Once more into the "Valley of the Shadow" to kick some serious butt!! Will those
Buggers never learn?

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Trouble at 't mill again!
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@Nospamhotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:24:56 GMT

Brian Lawson wrote:

> I suspect most of on RCM are a bit like me, teenut.  Don't really know
> what to say, but I think that it is important that we all DO say Hi,
> just to let you know you've got lots of rooters out here.    I've
> never had to face anything like you have, and we were all VERY pleased
> with the early results you had.
>
> We're all still here for you, and wish you the best.  You've got good
> family and good medical people.  You've got good friends here and at
> home too, I believe.
>
> All the best.
>
> Brian Lawson
> Windsor, Ontario
>
> ps.. I've often wondered if there was a significance to your choosing
> "teenut" as an on-line handle?  Story here, or what?

Thanks for all the good wishes guys..It really does help a lot.

Ref: teenut as my "handle"

When I first got onto the internet I was doing a lot of
Blacksmithing..Particularly Forge welding of "damascus type" steels and blade
making.  The "handle I originally chose to reflec this interest was "tubalcain"
from the biblical reference to Tubalcain..master of al "artificers in brass and
iron"

As I found my way onto Home metalshop lists and particularly to Model
Engineering Groups, I foun this confused and even angered a few of these types
why associated the name more with "Tubal Cain" the pen name of a famous, much
loved and respected English writer of "Model Engineering" renown.

Eventually I got fed up of explaining that I was not THAT Tubal Cain nor had any
pretentions to be judged as his equal(far too big a footsteps for me to fill) So
I decided to let tyhe whole thing drop and find a new, less contentious
handle..One with machinist conotationsthat was easy to rmembet, type and spell
to trduce the amount of walking my fingers would need to do!  Little did I
realise the perverted ways in which spammers work..for a while I was buried with
stuff about teenage porn pages!!(You wanna buy some postcards Sailor")

"teenut" (note the lower case..for further differentiation and ease of typing)
seems to fit the bill for now..though I am sure we all cast around from time to
time for that "perfect Handle" I seem to have become well enough known by this
name...with less contention and problems..so I think I will stick with it for a
while.

On that same Note..Please don't call me "Bob"!  I prefer "Robert" or "teenut"  I
was "BOB BASTOW" for many years and he was NOT a guy you wanted to mess with.
He served a purpose in my life, career and Business for an extended period..but
his "services" are no longer required..or desireble. I only let him out of his
cage when I go talk to the Bank Manager or the Jaguar Dealer.  My Wife, a
dynamite lady in her own right, uses it as the ultimate threat for suchlike
recalcitrant Service People..As in.." you had best give ME the right answers..Or
I will bring BOB down to have a chat with you!  You've never met BOB BASTOW have
you?!!"..He can spoil your whole Millenium!  I recall a run-in she had over the
sudden disppearence of the extended warranty on the XJ V 12 Jaguar.  She leaned
over the Dealership manager's desk ans asked him softly if "BOB" had ever
explained his own return policy to the Gentleman?  To his dumbly shaking head,
She explained that I would personally return the vehicle to his Showroom..Right
through the front F***ING WINDOW!!!

He blanched and folded to our demands!!

Just out of curiosity.  What new "handles"would our listers chose for them
selves (or for ME come to that?) faced with the need to change for any reason?
Inquiring Minds would like to know.

teenut

From: Robert Bastow <teenut@Nospamhotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Teenut
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 04:24:33 GMT

This is Ellen Bastow, teenut's better half.  I wanted to let everyone know that
teenut passed away tonight, January 11 around 9:15 pm.  He had a tough fight and
his body just gave out.  He was not in any pain at the end - just slipped away
quietly with his childern at his side.  I want you to know how much all your
messages and prayers meant to him.  He would get so excited and call me over to
see what had been posted.  Thank you for giving him that - there will never be
another teenut or Robert, as I call him.  My email address is
ebastow@hotmail.com and I would love to ear from anyone.  Thanks again for all
your prayers and know Robert is up there watching us.  Ellen Bastow

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Teenut's Celebration
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@Nospamhotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 20:05:57 GMT

Thanks so much for all the responses.  Your words and thoughts have given me so
much comfort and opened my eyes to side of Robert I knew existed, but didn't
know how much he was loved.  Robert did not want a funeral service - he wanted
to be cremated and taken home to England and scattered over a childhood place.
I am planning to take him home to his mum, two older boys, and grandchildren
hopefully in the spring.  I am having a celebration of his life on Sunday,
January 14 from 2-4 at the Dunwoody Tavern in Dunwoody Village in Dunwoody Ga.
I know that most of you live outside of Georgia, but please raise a pint for
him, as we will be doing and know that he will be with us.  He requested that
any memorials be made to St. Joseph Mercy Foundation, 1100 Johnson Ferry Road,
N.E., Suite 150, Atlanta, Georgia  30342-1746.  All donations should be
restricted to the Cancer Research Fund.  My address is 4744 Holly Oak Place,
Dunwoody, Georgia  30338  (770)350-0322.  Once again, thanks for all your
comforting words.  Ellen

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Teenut's Postings
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@Nospamhotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 08:18:08 GMT

Hey, its me again, Ellen Bastow.  I have been reading the hundreds of messages
and kind words you have been sending.  You have opened my family's eyes to the
real Robert.  I was hoping that some of you might have some of his postings.  I
read a few - those he chose to share with me-especially when someone was
disagreeing with him- but I don't have a copy.  I want to compile a "book" of
these, along with your messages to get me through the lonely nights that await
me.  If you can help me out, I would appreciate it.  Thanks, my new friends -
Ellen

From: Robert Bastow <teenut@Nospamhotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Teenut Pictorial
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:41:39 GMT

I was reading through the newsgroup and saw the thread regarding pictures of
Teenut and Peter.  I know most of you had never meet teenut-Robert-so I wanted
to provided you with some photos to match the name.  I also included some photos
of his workshop - the one at home- and his mauser action he was designing.  I
will be calling on you guys to help me with knowing exactly what equipment he
had and the value of it.  I am in no hurry to part with anything - but I know
that I will need help.  Hope you enjoy the crude site.  Feel free to stay in
touch with me at ebastow@hotmail.com.

Teenut's pictorial is at  http://teenut.homestead.com/teenut.html

Hope you enjoy it.  Ellen Bastow

Index Home About Blog