Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Need help with siezed brass parts
From: (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 7 Feb 1995 17:05:26 -0800

In article <3h929f$> () writes:
>Mark Gabriele ( wrote:
>: Problem:  The bottom end of the pump cylinder is fastened to the lamp by
>: means of a nut which has an inside diameter of about .75".  It is pretty
>: much seized
>: Any ideas on how to undo this thing?
>	--Just an idea, but if you can get access to an ultrasonic 
>cleaner, you might dump the whole thing in for 10min. or so and see if 
>anything comes unstuck.

This is a good idea I never thought of in my previous posting.  I still 
think the leathers or rings may have to be replaced in the pump since I 
have rebuilt three of these things and had to do it every time.  The 
ultrasonic cleaner is a neat gadget and works to free up lots of stuck stuff.

>: Also:  The lamp is heavily oxidized, has had lots of stuff spill on it,
>: etc.  I'm thinking of using a fine steel wool to clean it up, followed by
>: rubbing compound, followed by Brasso.  Will this be ok?  I'd like to make
>: the lamp into a showpiece, but I want it to work, too.
>	--BTW, I had a notion to clean up a brass plaque, with many 
>intricate spaces, using a quantity of, say, Brasso running in the 
>above-mentioned ultrasonic, in lieu of toothbrush and elbow grease. Did 
>anybody ever try this hack??

I've never tried to clean anything in an an ultrasonic using other than a 
detergent or methylene chloride (sure cleans paint filled antique hinges) 
but I doubt that an ultrasonic would/could take advantage of any abrasive 
material in solution that would work as a mini-bead blaster effect.

I have used solvents -MeCl, carbon tet, perc, trich, followed by acids 
and bases at controlled pH for various stuff.  But ultimately, good old 
soap and water works well, followed by elbow grease.

The most interesting thing I cleaned was a Vincent Black Shadow cylinder 
head which I put in Alconox detergent at 150 F degrees for 4 hours. I had 
cleaned it first with methylene chloride to get rid of the residual oil.  
Near the end of the cleaning cycle, I added some di-sodium EDTA to 
brighten the surface a bit.  Turned out perfect and the Vincent runs 
beautifully today.  Did both heads in fact.


Index Home About Blog