Index Home About Blog
From: Pete Albrecht
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Where to get waterglass? (or) Egg me on..
Date: 16 Sep 1998 13:38:35 GMT

>>And...
we poured a lot of it down the radiators or T's, A's and flat-head
Fords to seal cracked engine blocks.  (Kids,, don't try this on your
dad's BMW)

More recently, while I worked at Porsche in the mid-1980s, we used it on the
assembly line to seal water-cooled cylinder heads (Porsche 944) if they didn't
pass the porosity test.

Pete

From: REMOVE_THISdwilkins@means.net (Don Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Ornamental Brass Cleaning...HELP!
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:50:29 -0500

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:06:36 -0400, Ted Edwards
<Ted_E@bc.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>,;edbutrym1@my-deja.com wrote:
>,;
>,;> say "water-glass" with reference to Sodium Silicate.  Could you help me
>,;
>,;The common name for sodium silicate is water-glass.  It is a liquid used
>,;for preserving eggs and in certain ceramic work.  There's another common
>,;use for it but I seem to be having a senior's moment.  You should be
>,;able to get it at any ceramic work suppliy store, a farm/feed store and
>,;even some grocery stores.

Plural might be better as there are a lot of them.

Actually a series of compositions with varying Na2O to SiO2 ratios and
various proportions of water.

Uses..... Catalysts, soaps and detergents, adhesives, sizing textiles
and papers, ore treatment, soil solidification and drilling muds,
binder for foundry cores and molds, water proofing mortars,
impregnating wood and I am certain that I missed a bundle of uses.

Chemical supply houses will have more mixtures than you will ever care
to know about.

Index Home About Blog