Index Home About Blog
From: Jim Calpin <calpinj@mitre.org>
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Subject: Re: Military Aircraft Cost Data
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:34:34 -0400

Jim Calpin wrote:

> Since there seems to be some interest, tonite I will post the partial
> database I have collected  - should provide some interesting fodder
> for discussion.

OK, here it is.  The majority of the info comes from a TASC-sponsored
effort in the early 80s to capture aircraft costs.  Figures are initially
given in FY81$, which I have then converted into FY97$ (using BLS
deflators for the time period).  Cost figures are "flyaway unit cost".
Please feel free to argue/debate the numbers, but they aren't mine - this
is from "the" authoritative data set used by cost analysts everywhere.

The effort being undertaken here is to develop a new cost-estimating
relationship for future aircraft procurements.  Right now, my
"innovative" approach looks very promising, but I need to find a few more
data points.

Aircraft	Year Fielded	FY81$	FY97$			Source
A3A		1956		7.815	11.73493107		TASC
A4A/B		1956		1.917	2.878549311		TASC
A6A		1963		13.123	19.70537434		TASC
A7D		1968		5.012	7.525972428		TASC