Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: comp.risks
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 91 21:11:59 GMT
From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
Subject: Re: "Computer Models Leave U.S. Leaders Sure of Victory"

>  ...Red Force electronic warfare is reduced or eliminated because its
>  success causes a complete breakdown in exercise force command and
>  control...

After a discussion several years ago on a vaguely similar theme, I had
a bit of correspondence with a fellow who'd spent some time in electronic
warfare in the Army.  (I suspect I should not identify him.)  He said that
they were normally under severe restrictions in what they could do as part
of field exercises, and as a result the folks who were supposed to benefit
from said exercises had gotten very blase' about communications practices
and the like.  Then the EW people, after a lot of begging and pleading,
got permission to take the gloves off just once and show the commanders
what serious EW could do.  His summary of the results:  "we paralyzed them".

Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

Index Home About Blog