Index Home About Blog
From: thunder@rmii.com (Ed Rasimus)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Subject: Re: toss bombing?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:41:19 GMT

Dan Ford <df@christa.unh.edu> wrote:

>The AF officer who devised the technique for fighters calculated that a
>520 kt aircraft tossing a bomb from the arc of a 4 G loop would reach the
>top at about 9,500 ft. I don't know how that computes to a 400 kt bomber
>pulling 2.5 Gs.

The VTIP delivery in the F-105 was done starting at 600 KIAS and 500
AGL. With a 4-G pull-up the wings level inverted position was reached
around 20,000 feet. The bomb released at 100-110 degrees of pitch
(slightly past vertical since you had already flown past the target)
and the bomb continued upward to nearly 35,000 before apexing and
starting back down.

>Interestingly, he described LABS as a Half Cuban Eight. How does that
>differ from an Immelmann?

A Half Cuban Eight means the roll back to upright occurs at about 45
degrees nose low rather than level-flight inverted. It allows you to
regain some speed.

 Ed Rasimus                   *** Peak Computing Magazine
  Fighter Pilot (ret)         ***   (http://peak-computing.com)
                              *** Ziff-Davis Interactive
                              ***   (http://www.zdnet.com)

Index Home About Blog