Index Home About Blog
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 86 10:38:20 edt
From: Douglas Humphrey <deh@ENEEVAX.UMD.EDU>
Subject: Re:  Paper shredders

There are, as KFL mentioned, shredders that totaly destroy things. I
saw a demo of a $200,000 plus machine that reduced an IBM Selectric
II to the consistance of large box of nuts, botls and spade lugs.
I am told that it destroyed the cutters to do this, but it is a good
demo of its capabilities. I do know that there are machines like this
that will eat magnetic tapes, hub, seal and all, and do it all day long
for years on end with just an occaisional sharpening of the blades. It
eats the older tapes with aluminum hubs just as nicely.

The State Department has long been known to be about 100 years behind
on its destruction of classified documents in emergency situations. The
military, not caring if it is pretty, feels free to use Thermite devices
on secure files, but last I heard State did not want to do that. So we pay
for it by expecting that shreding will stop a country where they can round
up 1000 people, dump them into rooms with the shred, and tell them to put it
all together of they will be shot. Shoot a few just for example, and things
get done with wonderful speed. Cheap too.

Doug

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 86 17:05:02 edt
From: mikemcl@nrl-csr.unspecified
Subject: Shredder types

There is a class of shredder called a "cross-cut" shredder.  It is more
expensive than a basic (strip) shredder, but less expensive than pulpers
of the same capacity.  For a large installation pulpers should be con-
sidered, as their output has some economic value - it is often used as
packing in double-walled mailing envelopes (yes, that is what that grey
goop is that falls out all over your desk and floor when you tear open
the envelope).  I believe that pulp has some other uses, too.  I'm sure
a pulper salesperson would be happy to enlighten you.

Index Home About Blog