Index Home About Blog
From: (Henry Spencer)
Subject: Re: Earth slowing down TANGENT
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 20:08:47 GMT

In article <7all6h$4cn$>,
Geoff Salmon <> wrote:
>I have wondered for quite some time... If the earths rotation were to stop
>completely (barring all the global catastrophes), what would the absence of
>centrifugal force do to our perception of weight?

Nothing.  The difference in weight of a given mass weighed at the poles
(no centrifugal force) and the equator (maximum centrifugal force) is
about half a percent.  That is much too small a difference to notice
unless the change happens suddenly or you are doing precise measurements.
The good old days                   |  Henry Spencer
weren't.                            |      (aka

Index Home About Blog