Index Home About Blog
From: (Henry Spencer)
Subject: Re: Falsifiability
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 20:34:57 GMT

In article <7ns151$hh3$>,
Peter Smith <> wrote:
>>  If I claim a mouse dropped off the top of the  Empire State Building
>> will survive this is possible to test.
>hmmm i wonder what the terminal velocity of a very small yet highly fluffy
>mouse would be...
>maybe it _could_ survive

It would.  Mice can survive falls of essentially unlimited height.  Their
terminal velocity is low and they have great structural strength, for the
same reason:  lots of area per unit mass.

It was observed a century or two ago, in mines, that the dividing line
between creatures untroubled by long falls and ones that can be hurt by
them lies between mice and rats.
The good old days                   |  Henry Spencer
weren't.                            |      (aka

Index Home About Blog