Index Home About Blog
From: Henry Spencer <>
Subject: Re: Newton's quotation - Please help me!
Date: 25 Feb 1999 17:10:57 GMT

In article <>,  <> wrote:
>From which of Isaac Newton's books has the following quotation been taken?
>"I do not know how I am judged by the world: it seems to me that I am a
>child who is playing on the beach by the
>sea and cheers up if sometimes he finds a pebble smoother than the others
>or a shell more beautiful than the others, while the vast ocean of the
>Truth stays inexplored before him".

Bartlett's (14th ed.) credits it to Brewster, "Memoirs of Newton" [1855],
vol. II, ch. 27.  Which would indicate, I think, that it appeared in a
letter or in unpublished papers, not in one of Newton's books.

(The version which appears in Bartlett's is worded slightly differently,
but the original may well be in Latin.)
The good old days                   |  Henry Spencer
weren't.                            |      (aka

Index Home About Blog