Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: sci.space.history
From: henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
Subject: Re: Who needs guns in space?
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 20:05:13 GMT

In article <4lvg3^^0zk-0411000842190001@204.156.22.202>,
Mike Flugennock <4lvg3^^0zk@sinkers.org> wrote:
>> Actually, this got me thinking about something interesting,
>> zero-g martial arts...
>
>Sounds almost impossible in zero-g. I'm no expert by any stretch, but
>don't most martial arts techniques involve using an opponent's _weight_
>against him somehow?

Techniques based on throws, e.g. jujitsu (judo is a sport, not a martial
art in the strict sense of the word), would probably suffer badly:  what
hurts on a throw is not flying through the air, but the sudden stop at the
end, and that would be much less drastic in low G or free fall.  Some of
the techniques might remain applicable, *not* as attacks but as aids to
attack -- for example, dislodging your opponent from his handhold to put
him temporarily at a disadvantage, floundering in mid-air, while you use
some other method of attack.

Techniques based on blows would not be greatly affected, *except* for the
problem of anchoring yourself while striking, which could be serious.

Techniques based on holds would not be impaired much, indeed they might be
aided by the extra flexibility of orientation.

Do bear in mind that sensible people don't resort to unarmed combat unless
there is absolutely no possibility of armed combat.  Even improvised
weapons make a big difference.  A club skews the odds considerably, an
edged weapon (especially a long one) is much worse, and being unarmed
against any sort of effective projectile weapon is a desperate emergency.
--
Microsoft shouldn't be broken up.       |  Henry Spencer   henry@spsystems.net
It should be shut down.  -- Phil Agre   |      (aka henry@zoo.toronto.edu)

Newsgroups: sci.space.history
From: henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 16:35:43 GMT

In article <3a04db99.388757340@news.seanet.com>,
Derek Lyons <elde@hurricane.net> wrote:
>>...Even improvised
>>weapons make a big difference.  A club skews the odds considerably, an
>>edged weapon (especially a long one) is much worse, and being unarmed
>>against any sort of effective projectile weapon is a desperate emergency.
>
>Hmm....  A lot depends on the motivation and determination levels
>involved.

Oh, it's certainly *possible* to win in such a situation, especially if
you're desperate and clever and the opposition is overconfident and
careless... but the odds are bad and the pucker factor is very high.