Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: sci.space.history
From: Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
Subject: Re: Life aboard Gemini
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:13:14 GMT

In article <34EC1808.7735@together.net>,
John Beaderstadt  <beady@together.net> wrote:
>> ...I have visions of the recovery divers opening the doors after splashdown
>> and going 'whEEEwwwie ! stand back everyone!'.
>
>From everything I've heard, this isn't far wrong. I remember one of the
>(Apollo?) astronauts saying they went back to inspect their capsule
>after it had been hoisted aboard the carrier, and were almost knocked
>out by the stink.

And things haven't changed a whole lot, either -- the shuttle cabin is
reportedly pretty ripe on landing, especially after a long-stay flight.
--
Being the last man on the Moon                  |     Henry Spencer
is a very dubious honor. -- Gene Cernan         | henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Newsgroups: sci.space.history
From: Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:28:07 GMT

In article <ant201400313M+4%@gnelson.demon.co.uk>,
Graham Nelson  <graham@gnelson.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> And things haven't changed a whole lot, either -- the shuttle cabin is
>> reportedly pretty ripe on landing, especially after a long-stay flight.
>
>Is there nothing people can do about this?  Surely a ventilation
>system could be fitted with air fresheners, to some extent?

There are filters, but presumably they aren't effective enough.

It would help a great deal, given that a shuttle flight involves six or
seven people living in close quarters for a week or two while trying to
get plenty of exercise, if the orbiter had a shower or some reasonable
equivalent.  It doesn't, due to mass and volume constraints (showering is
not easy in free fall, and it uses a lot of water).