There are people who look down on puns, and scold others for making puns, saying that they’re not funny.

They protest too much. If they really thought puns were unfunny, they’d simply ignore puns, as I do. I don’t notice when someone tries to make a pun, unless it’s something really blatant like several people having a pun contest (or someone saying “no pun intended” – yeah, right). When I emit a pun, it’s by random chance and I don’t even notice that I’ve done so. Someone scolding me for it (as happened recently, and was the only reason I even thought of the matter enough to write this post) will just be met by a confused look.