Index Home About Blog
From: (George Goble)
Subject: Re: R-113 question
Message-ID: <368ubj$>
Date: 27 Sep 1994 11:06:27 GMT
Organization: Purdue University Engineering Computer Network
Lines: 39

In article <> writes:

>	I've been looking at some used Dodge and Plymouth minivans.
>	On some I see a sticker saying they used R-113 in the air
>	conditioner. My question is how available is R-113 or is it
>	limited like R-12? And can R-12 or GHG-12 be mixed with it?

R-113 is a high boiling point refrigerant (around 117F), it is used
as a cleaning solvent (or foam blowing agent) during the manufacture
of the car or its parts. It is not used in the A/C as the refrigerant.
It was formerly used (as was R-11) as a "flush" during A/C service to
clean out the system.  Most likely, your car has some electronics board
which had the flux cleaned off using R-113 during mfgr.. EPA requires
stickers now, if any CFC was used during mfgr.

R-113 is now much harder to find than R-12 now..

GHG-12 (also called R-406A) can be mixed with R-12 and it works fine.
However, this makes people mad whom are in the recovery/reclaim
business.  The Auto industry is against mixing GHG-12 and R-12 since
they claim it reduces the supply of R-12 for cars.  Indianapolis
Refrigeration Products (800-497-6805) is an EPA approved reclaimer
and they will take back mixed GHG-12 and R-12 blends for reclaiming.

Don't put GHG-12 in a car in the US. The EPA has approved R-406A
for almost all uses except Mobile A/C (cars).. Using it in a car
in the US could get you a $25,000 fine + a $10,000 reward to somebody
who turns you in. Any GHG-12 already in a car before 2/14/94 is
still "legal" and does not have to be removed.

EPA defines Mobile A/C as anything which cools people for comfort.
R-406A is legal for refrigerated transport in a semi-trailer, but
cannot be used to cool the driver in the cab, etc..


Index Home About Blog