Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: sci.aeronautics.airliners
From: ehahn@fairlite.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Subject: Re: Really Long Range Commercial Transport
Date: 26 May 94 12:14:44

rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft) writes:

   >In article <airliners.1994.1237@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Ned Kittlitz wrote:
   >>I believe there are multiple flightdeck crews on very long flights.
   >>Is this true?

------
I recently had an opportunity to look around a Lufthansa A340 in the
hangar at Frankfurt last November.  For the additional crew (both
flight deck and cabin), they have two crew rest areas.

The first is a submarine-like berth with a double bunk right behind the
cockpit (on the right side of the aircraft).  The second is a
compartment in the CARGO level of the aircraft, with 6+ bunks, with
access from themain cabin through a stairwell.  The second compartment
was located over the wing.  (It was mentioned that this might actually
be a modified cargo container, and could be off-loaded).

Another of our group (an evaluation crew from a US carrier looking at
another aircraft type) mentioned that this arrangement wouldn't work
for us - too much potential for fooling around :-).

As a side note, the A340 we looked at had a "Purser's station" located
about a third of the way back along the cabin.  It was a little booth
with just enough room for one person to sit at a desk.  All of the
cabin video equipment (including the personalized video for FC) was
controlled from here.  All in all it looked to be about the same size
as a lavatory, on the left side of the aircraft.  (NOTE:  I have since
left the airline that sent the evaluation group.)

My 0.02USD,
ed

////////   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   \\\\\\\\