From: Brett Buck <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Re: Epoxy, carbon fiber, Microwaves and the neighbors poodle
Date: 09 Mar 1999
Steve Bloom wrote:
> Last night I retrieved a freezer batch for a launch lug and let it sit for a
> few minutes until I was ready for it. I added some carbon fiber for
> strenght and mixed it up. It was still a little cold so the batch was
> getting too stiff with the filler. I popped it in the microwave for the
> usual 8 seconds and hit the go button. As I turned to look at the TV Eric
> said, "Uh dad?" and pointed to the microwave oven which was glowing orange.
> I looked inside and the cup was engulfed in flames.
Funny you should mention this - a model airplane buddy of mine
related a nearly identical story to me just this Saturday! Seems he had
a stunt plane engine cowl all neatly carved and was in the finishing
process and wanted to speed it up a bit. He had done the usual graphite
finish, using nitrate dope to adhere .2 oz/square yd. graphite mat to
his balsa cowl. Stuck it in the microwave to gas it off a little faster,
and before he was able to hit the stop button, it had been almost
Easy enough mistake to make, you say? Even harder if, like him, you
are a microwave transmitter engineer!