Index Home About Blog
Subject: Re: Prop planes and speed of sound, was:Fastest Piston Fighter
From: David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Date: Jun 10 1996
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military

The article on the M=.96 Spitfire appeared in "The Aeroplane"
about four years ago.  Accompanying the article was an "artist's
conception" of the dive, complete with shock waves.  We had quite a
chuckle about it here, as I had just completed some CFD calculations on
the Spitfire and I could see that the artist had omited the strongest
shock wave on the Spitfire - the one on the canopy!  Yes, the canopy on
the Spitfire shocks before the wing!

Subject: Re: Mach 0.96 Spitfire dive (was: Fastest fighter and other
From: David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Date: Jul 15 1996
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military

Philip Morten wrote:

> Look at the sequence of design drawings for the Type 300, the
> elliptical wing planform is intoduced when it was decided to increase
> the armament from 4 x .303 to 8 x .303.  In order to accommodate the
> outer guns and maintain the low t/c it was necessary to increase the
> chord outboard, hence the elliptical planform.  The mininum *induced
> drag* characteristic of an elliptical lift distribution was a bonus.
> The down side to this was that the wing was difficult to make and
> production of wings ran well behind fuselages in the early days.

	Yes, the elliptical planform did result from the need for
outboard guns.  More specifically, wing depth for the ammunition trays
for the outboard guns was needed.  Also, remember that the landing gear
retracted outboard, so depth was need for the tire too.  The Spitfire
wing had approximately 2 degrees of twist, so the lift distribution was
not elliptical.

> The high speed characteristics of the Spitfire are due to the low t/c
> rather than the elliptical planform but it was the elliptical planform
> that enabled the low t/c to be maintained over the outer gun bays.
> Remember that induced drag is most significant at high AOA and high
> speed diving flight involves a low AOA.

	Actually, the Spitfire was very slow for its power, so I wouldn't
say it had good high speed performance (in level flight).  The wing has a
NACA 2213 at the root and a 2209.4 at the tip.  The Mustang has a 13.8%
thick root airfoil and a 11.4% tip airfoil.  So yes, the Spitfire has a
thinner wing, which would help at high Mach.  However, I would estimate
that the Mustang's airfoils have lower drag at high Mach (something I
have got to try and calculate someday soon...).  I think that the
Spitfire's high drag divergence speed, relative to the Mustang is due to
a combination of features, not just the wing or wing airfoil design.

	For more info, so my two papers:

	Lednicer, D., "A CFD Evaluation of Three Prominent World War II
Fighter Aircraft," Aeronautical Journal of the Royal Aeronautical
Society, June/July 1995.

	Lednicer, D. and Gilchrist, I., "A Retrospective: Computational
Aerodynamics Analysis Methods Applied to the P-51 Mustang," AIAA paper
91-3288, September 1991.