Index Home About Blog
From: mundayde@muohio.noise.edu (David Munday)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Books on building wooden aircraft
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:56:07 GMT

"Walter D Stewart" <wds@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>I have seen a few 'ancient' titles in references but have yet to actually
>find any of them even in rare book stores.  Anyone know where some good ones
>are?

Well, you see it's an ancient art.

Aircraft Building Techniques: Wood, Paul Poberezny and S. H. "Wes"
Schmid, eds., EAA Aviation Foundation, 1991.
	A must have book for any wood airplane builder.  It is a
collection of articles on wood plane construction.  Includes articles
on selecting wood for aircraft use, on alternatives to Sitka Spruce,
on moisture content and rot, on gluing, on jigs, nails, and clamps.

Wood Aircraft Building Techniques, Paul Poberezny and S. H. "Wes"
Schmid, eds., EAA Aviation Foundation, N.D.
	Reprints of articles from Sport Aviation.  Mostly articles
about the Flybaby printed in 1963.  Also includes a short article on
building a wood testing device, one on building a 6" bending break for
fittings, and a couple of articles on building an Emeraude.

Wood Handbook: Basic Information on Wood as a Material of Construction
with Data for its Use in Design and Specification, Agriculture
Handbook No. 72, Forest Products Laboratory, Forest Service, U. S.
Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.: U. S. Government Printing
Office, 1955.
	Includes descriptions of the structure of wood, descriptions
of species, tables of their mechanical properties.  Includes
specifications for joints, and for structural members.  Does not
include any information on aircraft practice, but it is an invaluable
and authoritative source on material properties.

the Aircraft Woodwork Bibles,
ANC 18 and ANC 19.
These have been out of print at the Government printing office
since around 1962, but they are available from the EAA Foundation
Library for $25.00 and $35.00 respectively.  Plus postage.

--
David Munday  -  mundayde@muohio.noise.edu
My email address is not noisy.

Index Home About Blog