Index Home About Blog
From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: airlines requiring you to deflate tires
Date: 25 May 1999 16:26:48 GMT

Jeffrey L. Bell writes:

>> It always seemed to me that deflating tires made no sense even if
>> the hold wasn't pressurized.

> There's probably an FAA regulation somewhere that just says no to
> pressurized containers, and then has a list of exceptions tacked on.

> It makes lots of sense for scuba tanks, but not for bike tires.

> I wonder if they make wheelchair users deflate their tires too.

How about the aircraft tires?

By the way, Air France specifically requires that bicycle have their
tires inflated so that customers cannot claim rim damage from baggage
handling.  The tire deflation thing is urban legend and even finds
life among airline employees who have deflated my tires before I put
the bike in a plastic bag.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

Index Home About Blog