Index Home About Blog
From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Re: Fenders?
Date: 22 Sep 1997 16:10:39 GMT

Jim Mueller writes:

> I'm curious. Why are most road bikes sold without fenders? Is it for
> weight saving reasons? Fenders can't weigh more than a couple of
> ounces.  They add some protection from road spray and look somewhat
> classy.  Anyone have an explanation?

I don't know what the motivation is but I will not ride a bike with
fenders (mudguards) for general bicycling because they pose a distinct
hazard for the places I ride.  A small stick bouncing up in the spokes
can snag the lower brace, sucking the fender into the tire.  As the
fender crumples, the arc of the brace shortens asymptotically until
the wheel jams and pitches the rider over the front.

My experience with this occurred on a rider's bike on a road through
the woods.  He flew over the front and bent the bars.  Others have
done likewise.  I have on several occasions bent spokes that broke
sticks.  For wet weather, both a front mud flap and long rear fender
is needed and they works fine for city riding.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

Index Home About Blog