Index Home About Blog
From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Subject: Re: Non-Padded Gloves
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 22:01:59 GMT

Bill Chin writes:

> For non-padded gloves you might try looking at gloves designed for
> other activities, such as batting gloves or golf gloves or driving
> gloves.  I am shopping for new gloves and all the bike gloves that I
> see have padded palms.

For me that's not the worst part of bicycle glove design but rather
the lack of leather there where it is needed.  A good bicycle glove
should be leather faced (or equivalent material) and have a saddle that
covers the crotch between thumb and forefinger.  This is a pressure
and chafing point that most gloves not only overlook but they have a
seam there that is uncomfortable when climbing (standing) with hands
on the brake lever body.

From the gloves I see offered, it appears their designers don't ride
bike.

Jobst Brandt  <jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org>  Palo Alto CA

From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 18:27:18 GMT

David Damerell writes:

>> For me that's not the worst part of bicycle glove design but rather
>> the lack of leather there where it is needed.  A good bicycle glove
>> should be leather faced (or equivalent materia) and have a saddle
>> the covers the crotch between thumb and forefinger.

> FWIW, my Altura gloves have padding in that crotch.

They may have padding there but the "leather" saddle must cover back
of the thumb and forefinger to prevent chafing on the brake hood on
long climbs.  Besides, all the Altura gloves I could look up were full
fingered "winter" gloves.  For that I use deer skin plain dress gloves.