Index Home About Blog
From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Subject: Re: Poison Oak Remedy: was Mountain bike "chemistry"
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:54:24 GMT

Loui Surfer (really?) writes:

> Having just contracted my first case of poison oak 5 days ago, I've
> been desperately searching for a remedy to relieve the damn itching
> and hopefully nip the cause in the bud, the next time I see signs.

You can get cortisone injections but unless you are near death
(choking on an inflamed trachea) you can temporarily stop the itch by
"annealing" the area.  Hold the affected skin under a shower as hot as
you can take without burning yourself.  This will cause a momentary
high itching sensation that will vanish when withdrawing from the hot
stream.  Do not scratch the affected area and daub it dray with a soft
towel.

> Some questions before I purchase some Zanfel:

> Zanfel can be used even a few days after exposure?  My thought was
> that once you've been exposed and the urushiol oils haven't been
> washed off in 15 mins, you're gonna get the swelling/blister/itching
> anyways.  I guess this is good for washing whatever residue that
> isn't removed by soap or alcohol (or whatever, so it doesn't spread
> or get worse.

It always helps to wash after suspected or real exposure.  Use plenty
of soap because just allowing shower water to run past the crotch can
infect sensitive parts as the contaminated water passes.  If the skin
has already erupted with watering blisters, washing time has probably
passed.

> Also does it relieve the itching and reduce the swelling on skin
> already damaged/affected?

No, other than the hot water treatment.  Don't scratch.

> Your input is greatly appreciated.  Although for this case I'm too
> late!!!  But I know this won't be the last time I'm exposed.

Not at all.  Relieve that itch and report back with how much it helped.

Jobst Brandt  <jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org>  Palo Alto CA

From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:21:22 GMT

Nick Kolodinsky writes:

>> You can get pregnazone injections but unless you are near death
>> (choking on an inflamed trachea) you can temporarily stop the itch
>> by "annealing" the area.  Hold the affected skin under a shower as
>> hot as you can take without burning yourself.  This will cause a
>> momentary high itching sensation that will vanish when withdrawing
>> from the hot stream.  Do not scratch the affected area and daub it
>> dray with a soft towel.

> This releases the fluid built up under the skin which is the cause of
> the itching and basically "flattens" the rash out. When it gets "built
> up" again, repeat the procedure. Also you could "scrub" a little to
> work out the fluid in the presence of hot water flow. The rash will
> ooz a lot after this - a good thing.

It does nothing of the sort.  The heat affects histamines natural in
the body.  This should be done long before the surface is blisters
with fluid filled sacks.  In any case, don't scrub (aka scratch).

>> It always helps to wash after suspected or real exposure.  Use
>> plenty of soap because just allowing shower water to run past the
>> crotch can infect sensitive parts as the contaminated water passes.
>> If the skin has already erupted with watering blisters, washing
>> time has probably passed.

> A soap that is effective against oil is required.  There is a soap
> sold as a laundry pre-spotter that my father (who was a mechanic)
> used to shower with to remove grease called Fels-Naptha.  It's cheap
> and works very well to shower with after suspected exposure.

Soap (generic) is an oil solvent.  The old Fels-Naptha pitch never
showed any evidence of being better than Ivory soap.  I think it is
folk lore:

http://www.felsnapthasoap.bigstep.com/

> Also the rash usually appears about 3 days after exposure, much to
> late to wash anything off, it needs to be washed off soon. For me it
> seems that within a few hours works.

Usually doesn't help.  Twelve hours seems to be enough for most cases
I have seen among trail workers in the local woods.

> After a major bout with poison ivy a number of years ago which
> resulted in a trip to the Hospital, the doctor made a point of
> checking the crotch area.  He said it's often affected when
> unsupecting men "go" in the woods.  The point is DON'T TOUCH
> yourself anywhere if you may have touched poison ivy.  I heard it
> could be a very difficult experiance.

Oh great!  If that isn't self evident, and don't wipe your ass with
poison oak leaves.  It is my experience that those who get the worst
cases are also people who are afraid of the woods and have no idea how
the plant looks, summer or winter.  The same seems to be true of people
who collect puncture vine thorns in their tires often.

http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0801+0392