Index Home About Blog
From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Rim Strips?
Date: 12 Aug 1996 03:27:46 GMT

Mark Bulgier writes:

> Well, in 24 years in the bike business I have only seen a few cases of
> flats caused by rim strips failing at a spoke hole, and most of them
> involved the yellow Michelin plastic strip, which was remarkably
> brittle.  When these split it caused a flat more like a blow-out than
> a typical puncture, tho of course the tire can't go flat quite as fast
> as in a tire lift-off type blow out.

This is exactly my experience.

> I've also seen a few incidents involving the "ultralight" fabric style,
> tho the mode is creeping into the hole, making them narrower until the
> _edges_ of the hole are exposed and cut the tube.  (One advantage of
> double-eyelet rims is this edge is much less likely to cut a tube.)

This also is my experience.

> I've used and liked the Specialized version; I'd rate it "very reliable"
> since there are so many of 'em out there and I've heard of no problems
> before Mike DeMicco's. That doesn't mean Mike's blow out didn't happen,
> though - even the best product can fail sometimes.  So although I see
> Jobst's reasons for being sceptical, I think he should stop short of
> impugning Mike's analytical abilities.  And his implication that rim
> strips _never_ cause rapid, even catastrophic inner tube failures is
> definitely over-optimistic.

I find this paragraph a bit contradictory but, as I explained.  It is
common for riders to come into the bike shop and claim they had an
internal blowout from a poor rim strip or faulty tube and at the same
time claim to have heard a bang.  That cannot happen without the tube
being exposed to the outdoors.  Of course upon closer inspection,
other evidence on the tube make the internal blowout impossible.  I
don't see why you assume that bicycle riders should correctly asses
what caused an uncommon event to have occurred on their bicycle.
These are obscure processes.  If they weren't courts of law wouldn't
require expert analysis of them.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Rim punctures
Date: 31 Aug 1998 16:17:43 GMT

Steve Sloan writes:

> Is it true that Velox rim tape is the WRONG stuff to use?

No, but there are better and more convenient tapes, such as KoolStop
plastic tape.  This kind of tape is easier for spoke nipple
replacement and can be reused more easily.  Velox tape tears at times
at rusty sockets on removal.  The thicker the tape, the better the
insulation to prevent tire blow-off on long braking descents.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: 31 Aug 1998 15:54:22 GMT

Marco anonymous writes:

>> In fact, Velox tape becomes useless after wet weather because it is
>> attacked by the rust from the steel spoke sockets of many rims.

> European rims by law have to be made with stainless steel eyelets
> (I use the popular term here - funny, in the old days, this is how
> languages were created).

Oh?  Whose law and where?  So how come Mavic MA-2 rims have
non-stainless steel sockets and are widely sold in Europe as well as
in the USA?  I just bought such a rim in Austria.  I suspect you are
making this up.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: plastic rim strips, why not?
Date: 18 Apr 2000 15:11:45 GMT

Fumitaka Hayashi writes:

> I've never seen a Kool-Stop rim tape.  How is it different from the
> Michelin one?

Michelin rim strip is hard nearly un-stretchable plastic, a material
that at first glance seems inappropriate for the task and that later
proves to be so when it cracks lengthwise and cuts the tube.
Kool-Stop is a gummier stretchable tape that conforms to the rim
softening any protrusions so that they do not injure the inner tube.
It stretches on tightly enough to remain in place and forms itself to
a "home position" in use.  It is easily removable by lifting it at the
stem hole even without a screw driver to lift it anywhere else.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: 19 Apr 2000 02:12:06 GMT

Alex Rodriguez writes:

>> I notice that no one has mentioned Kool-Stop, the best rim tape I
>> have found and used for years... that is the same tapes have served
>> many rims on my wheels.

> Who sells this rim strip?  I would like to try them out.

http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html

Check "Rim Gard" strips on that web site.  They can probably give you
a local merchant whocarries their stuff... or mail order it from Harris
Cyclery aka Sheldon Brown.  He carries Kool Stop products.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: 19 Apr 2000 20:44:41 GMT

Stephe (who?) writes:

>>> Plastic strips have no real advantage over good old Velox, which
>>> weighs only the tiniest bit more... why mess with the best?

>> I build my own wheels and don't like to mess with Velox tape,

> What exactly is there to mess with? I've never had any problem using it..

Replacing a spoke nipple sometimes tears the tape from rust intrusion
at the spoke socket.  Besides, it is difficult to raise on the rim and
doesn't like re-use.  As I said, Kool-Stop strip is reusable, easy to
lift and does an excellent job even with spokes that stick up too
high.  This happens at times if you replace a spoke on the road and
can't get the right length.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Edumacate Me About Rim Strips
Date: 29 Aug 2000 21:20:20 GMT

Steve Freides writes:

> The rubber rim strip I see on cheap kids bikes - how does that stuff
> work for even 5 minutes?

These are used on single bed rims without a hollow interior into
which the tube could expand and burst.  The rubber is a cushion over
the end of the nipple and possibly protruding spoke.  It has no
structural strength and needs none.

> There are apparently two widths, 17 and 11mm, but the 17 is nowhere
> near wide enough for a cheapie kids 24x1.75 setup I got to fix
> today.  Don't they make cloth rim strip wider than 17mm?

I don't think you are perceiving the concept of the flat bed rim
correctly.  The purpose of rim strips for light weight hollow rims is
to bridge the spoke sockets in a hollow rim.  They need be no wider
than those you found.

> And the 17mm size seems plenty narrow enough for skinny road tires -
> why would you use the 11mm size?

I haven't used rims that take such a narrow strip but it would have to
bridge the spoke holes.  If it doesn't, it doesn't fit correctly.