Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: GM 400 C.I. Belt Problems
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:13:10 -0400

John Gray wrote:

> I continue to have to replace the main fan belt on mt RV every few hundred
> miles.  Any ideas on why this keeps happening?  Is there an easy way to make
> sure the pulleys are all lined up?  It sure makes the trips take a lot
> longer....

You must be buying belts at AutoZombie :-)  The solution is to go to
NAPA or other reputable parts store and get a Gates or Goodyear
superpremium belt.  Expect to pay around $12-15 (assuming these are
V-belts and not serpentine.)  Well worth it.

I went through the same misery both on my MH (350 chebby) and my 68
Plymouth Fury until I discovered the super premium belts.  Even the
good brands like Gates offer cheap consumer-grade belts so be sure
to specify the super premium (gates' term)  I have 2 years on the MH
belts and 3 on the Fury.