Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: BAttery terminals - was Pompous Ass, or not?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:56:11 -0400

Just now seeing this thread thanks to good filters :-)

That double connector has caused tremendous problems for GM.  In particular I
know about the 92-96 B-body cars (Impalas, caprices, wagons).  Standard
procedure is/was to lop off those horrid connectors and replace them with
standard post connectors.

Fortunately for my 94 9C1, the police department that I bought it from had
already addressed the problem.  My car is equipped with very nice AMP brand
crimp-on connectors that look mil-spec.  Zero battery problems.

My old 79 El Camino was the same way.  After a few years the side post
terminal corroded up.  No amount of cleaning, greasing or anti-corrosive
compound would remedy the problem.  After it left my wife stranded a few times
I cut the %^&^**& things off and installed conventional post terminals.
Problem solved again.

John

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:03:34 -0400, HDinNY <error@error.com> wrote:

>I'm glad it helped some and hope people will keep it in mind
>if they have weird electrical problems. I've had four GM
>vehicles with the side post battery and the Buick is the
>first one to have a problem. Like I said to Lon, the '96
>Sierra may have had a problem but it didn't affect the
>operation of it. The Buick on the other hand left my wife
>flat more than once. All the money spent by GM and me to
>correct it, didn't do squat.
>
>When I pulled that connector apart, and it was not apparent
>it was two connectors, saw the amount of corrosion there was
>and tried to clean it out, I knew that was the source of
>trouble. If GM had not hidden the fact it was a double
>connector, it would have been cleaned when replacing the
>battery.
>
>Since the only way I found the problem was the fact the car
>was acting up again, I have to presume all the existing
>vehicles with that same double connector are potential
>problem vehicles. What I don't know, nor care to find out,
>is how many GM vehicles with side post batteries have that
>same double connector.
>
>My original post served the purpose intended and for that
>I'm pleased.
>HD in CNY

Index Home About Blog