Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: What would you sugest for an engine rebuild?
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:16:10 -0400

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:41:32 -0700, "Stuart" <ourdad(nospam)@ptld.uswest.net>
wrote:

>here's the question:
>   with pulling a trailer the size I described, what would you suggest for a
>rebuild?
>
>Bigger engine?
>boring the one I have and going to bigger pistons?
>an RV cam?
>what about the heads? anything I can do there to improve the performance?
>
>I have an appointment to take the truck in to have it rebuilt in about 3
>weeks and figured I'd ask those who pull big RV's what they would recommend
>for an engine rebuild.

Especially since you're paying someone to do the repair instead of doing it
yourself, my answer would be "none of the above".  I'd find an engine and
transfer case out of a low mileage late model wreck and transplant it in.
You'll gain the benefit of modern manufacturing tolerances and techniques
(tolerances that your average automotive machine shop can't even get close
to).  An engine that will go 200k miles or better is nice.  You'll gain the
power and economy benefits of EFI and electronic drivetrain management,
assuming you get one with an electronic transmission.  You'll get the MUCH
superior serpentine belt system. And it'll probably cost less.

You can either get the wiring harness and computer with the engine or just get
the computer and go with an aftermarket harness like those from Painless
Wiring.  The latter keeps the ECM wiring completely separate from the vehicle
wiring and so the job becomes a simple plug'n'play affair.

This is the approach I now take on old vehicles.  Example, I'm scouting around
for a good low mileage Vortec engine and tranny for my 82 motorhome.  I should
be able to get an engine, tranny, computer and wiring harness for <$1500 and
it'll drop right in.  I'll get literally twice the power, better fuel economy,
get rid of the V-belts that have to be replaced every season and will do it
for less than the cost of a quality overhaul.