Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: sagging headliners in RVs
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 22:46:25 -0400

Ahhhh Yes, the good old GM headliner problem.  Sounds like they haven't improved
anything from 1979 - that's when I bought an El Camino that did the same thing 10
years later.

I re-adhered mine by rigging up a spray nozzle like what comes with a WD-40 spray can
and attaching it to a can of spray adhesive.  I poked the nozzle through the
headliner at several places and sprayed heavily.  This adhesive worked like contact
cement so after it dried for a few seconds, I could push the headliner back into
place and it stuck.

Because of all that foam residue, it took a lot of adhesive, and even then the
results were lumpy from all the foam particles.  Still, it did hold a headliner in
place until I sold the vehicle. it wasn't pretty but it worked.

The only other thing I can think of is to take it to an automotive interior shop and
see what the guy there says.  It may be that he could carefully cut out around
cabinets, attach the new headliner and then apply some trim around the edges. The
really good guys can do some amazing tricks to hide their repair work.

John

On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:41:29 -0400, "R Miller" <rlmiller@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>Has anyone had any experience with fixing headliners in RVs? I have a 32
>foot 1993 Winnebago (class A) that the vinyl headliner in the entire coach
>has separated from the roof and is sagging. Although I have the rv covered,
>the heat and humidity in FL has caused the foam between the vinyl and the
>roof to deteriorate. Replacing the headliner and foam would require the
>coach to be nearly gutted since the cabinets and appliances are install
>after the roof is completed when built. Any suggestions?
>Thanks,
>Ron

Index Home About Blog