Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Magic chef stove top burner knob locking up
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:21:45 -0400

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:08:22 -0400, Chris Bryant <BryantRV-06@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

>Ðon Bailey wrote:
>

>>I have a Magic Chef (M# 22RW-3BK49  S#18065778MW)
>>stove top where the middle burner knob "locks up" if you
>>leave it on HIGH for a few minutes. I have to shut off the
>>propane outside and let it cool down, then the knob
>>turns off with no resistance.
>>
>>Is there a cleaning procedure to solve this?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>db
>
>	Worse comes to worst, you could just replace the burner valve
>(under $20)- but I would try calling Maytag first (1-800-688-9900 from
>the US) to see what they say. This sounds like a potentially dangerous
>problem.

Those folks are right across the street.  Lots o' luck dealing with them.  Of
late, they've refused to sell gas components to me because I'm "not
qualified".  Yet the dept manager can't tell me what constitutes
qualification.  I have to go through the local appliance parts wholesaler.

That valve is made similar to a lab stopcock.  A tapered seat into which a
tapered plug that rotates fits.  The plug is lubricated with a heat resistant
grease.  When this grease finally dries out the knob won't turn or turns with
difficulty.

The solution is to disassemble the valve (most plugs are held in with a little
forked plate held on with one or two screws, clean the plug and socket with
solvent (Q-tip) and then relube.  You can use a high temperature conventional
grease but I like Dow 111 silicone grease.  Almost totally heat proof and
never dries out.  Be sparing with the grease or else it will get in the little
hole in the plug and clog it up.

If you want to give the knob more adjustment at low fire you can take a file
and file a small groove on the trailing side of the hole in the plug.  This
serves to let a little gas flow before the knob is turned far enough to
uncover the main hole.  This is a standard feature on commercial stove valves.
Don't make the groove longer than about a quarter inch.

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:32:18 -0400

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:49:12 -0400, "Ðon Bailey" <d0nb421@netzero.net> wrote:

>Hmmmm, Good stuff..
>
>Thanks.
>
>That Dow 111 looks like good stuff. It's all over the web.
>Any chance of finding the stuff in say like an auto parts store?

Yup, my local NAPA carries it.  So will most any industrial jobber (Motion
Industries, etc) and places like Grainger or MSC.

Stuff is slicker'n greased owl spit!  Just don't get it on anything you even
remotely might to paint.  Paint will not stick to even the slightest film and
I've never found a way to remove it thoroughly enough to avoid the problem.