Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: What if? the ultimate dream RV?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:59:58 -0500

Well, let's see.

First off, super-lightweight, built using aircraft materials and
construction techniques.  No wood to rot, except maybe some cabinets.
About 25-28 ft long so that it can be driven like a large van.

Metal roof

Diesel-electric drive with hub motors so there is no drivetrain and the
floor can be the lowest part of the rig.  All wheel drive for off-roading.
Suspension arranged similar to the GMC MH so that there are no axles
protruding into living spaces.  Air suspension so that the belly can be
dropped to ground level when parked.  That way there are no steps to
contend with.  Also, so that ground clearance can be jacked up when
off-roading.

Active anti-sway optimized for off-roading to smooth the ride over bumpy
terrain.  Integrated pto driven winches front and back.

Active all-wheel steering to make parking and maneuvering in tight spaces
easier.

At least 8ft ceilings without excess outside height problems.  See above.

All-weather

At least 150 gallons of fresh water and holding tanks as appropriate.

Radiant floor heat.

Central air, run by either the engine or shore power.

Power pack to supply heat, AC and electricity when off shore power.

Single fuel for everything - diesel.  200 gallon tank, at least.

Nice useable kitchen.

Full sized shower.  Porcelain head.

Lithium ion battery system, at least 600 ah, with battery management
system.  24 volt electrics with a 12 volt bus for appliances.

Electric awning (damn, I hate to wrestle that thing) with the roll inside
the body and the fabric coming out through a slot with suitable
waterproofing.  Awing made of Kevlar/carbon fiber to resist any
conceivable damage from nature.  Auto-retract when the ignition goes on.

Invisible flat panel phased array for satellite internet service.  System
architecture such that it would use 3rd gen wireless when available and
seamlessly switch to satellite.

Computer network with GPS, wireless and satellite internet tightly
integrated.  19" screen for navigation built into the dash.  HDTV flat
screens in the cabin with the ability to repeat navigation screens so the
passengers can see where we are.  GOES and NWS reception for weather.

Super stereo system.  No damned TV!!!

Outside lighting built into the side of the rig to illuminate the
campsite.

A tiny toad, something like a Smart Car or an EV that mates to the back of
the rig like those fork lifts mate to brick and cement block deliver
trucks.  Wheels up while in motion.  Ideally the car would drive at least
partially into a cavity in the back.  If an EV, charging while coupled.

Cubic acres of storage in the form of outside doors that open into inside
cabinets so that things can be accessed from inside or out.

A really comfortable bed that moves out of the way when not in use.  The
Safari method is one way.  A bed that swings up into the wall like the
old-fashioned pull-down beds would work too.  Automated, of course.

Adaptive cruise control similar to the Benz system that latches onto the
car ahead and maintains a constant separation distance.

Well, that ought to be enough to keep 'em busy for awhile :-)

John

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:49:46 -0600, Skyhooks <whocares@uiuc.edu> wrote:

>Ok, I like to fantasize :)  Here's a "What if" question.  If one could
>purchase/design their own ultimate one-of-a-kind RV, what would it
>include, especially if cost was not a consideration?
>
>I'd like to have my own personal chauffeur 24/7/365,  no matter the
>other ammenities of my dream RV diesel-pusher with ultimate tow package
>did or did not include :)  Then, I could watch and look at the scenery
>and surroundings without having to drive and/or navigate myself!
>
>Skyhooks
>   h m a r d i s  "a h t" u i u c "d a u g h t" e d u
>
>P.S.  I still haven't won the lottery yet!

Index Home About Blog