Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: What to do for glue?
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:34:33 -0400

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 08:07:07 -0500, Bob Giddings <bobg@escapees.com>
wrote:

>I agree.  I appreciate all the suggestions, but since all of them
>are different, that tells me that either anything will work or at
>the very least there's no one accepted way to do it.

The body shop no doubt used 3M trim tape, kinda ubiquitous in the
trade.  The stuff sticks pretty well but it will come off.

If you want the ultimate stick, say, for an emblem that has a high
potential of being stolen (I know you don't drive a benz or anything
like that but something as simple as a "turbo" badge is fair game)
then 3M's VHB (very high bond) tape is da tits.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/3mvhbtape.php

The 4950 is usually the version to use for badges.  Now before you go
googlie-eyed over the price, Rat Shack sells the stuff in a blister
pack, about 4 3" long strips for $4.95 or something like that.

VHB has some sort of two part adhesive micro-encapsulated in a fairly
weak adhesive designed to hold the object in place.  When you press
down on it you break the micro-encapsulation spheres and mix the
adhesive.

It takes generally overnight for the ultimate strength to develop.  If
you stick something on with the stuff and then try to pull it back off
it'll come right off, fooling you into thinking it isn't very strong.
Give it overnight and not even most solvents will faze it.  Only heat
and scraping.

VHB is also the tape used in those TV and microwave tie-down kits sold
at $CW$ and the like.

>Time to start in on the trailer.  On with the right hand, off
>with the left hand, etc.  God knows what is growing on top of
>this trailer.  I haven't been up there in over a year.  I may
>have a family of wetbacks living up there.  Or killer bees.  Or
>some really sneaky Kudzu.  God knows.

Heh, tell me about it.  After about 8 months in Tellico (which makes
Oregon look dry) my rig looked like a moss and mold garden.  My
steering wheel was a full half inch larger in diameter than it used to
be, and green.  Even fingerprints on the paneling had turned green.
Hmmm, a new forensic tool....

I stopped by a friend's house to use his industrial pressure washer
(figures, buy a nice pressure washer, need it and remember that
another friend has it borrowed....)  The roof was ummm, tragic.  I
wondered why the AC would run but not cool.  Obvious.  Some sort of
flora had grown between the fins, completely blocking the airflow to
the condenser.  Fortunately the stuff is soft and fairly non-adherent
so it blasts right off with the pressure wand.

If I could only pressure wash the interior... Hmmm.....  That worked
on my restaurant building right after I bought it.  Hmmmmm.