Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: misc.rural,misc.transport.trucking
Subject: Re: Tractor Hauling
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:35:09 -0400

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:59:48 -0700, Sheldon <PENMART01@aol.com> wrote:

>On Sep 24, 8:07?am, rgies @swbell.net wrote:
>> I have bought a tractor in KS and am trying to get it to OK. It weighs
>> aprox. 11000 lbs with a 90" front blade and 86" wheel space. Any one know of
>> anyone that will do this reasonably? It is about 135 miles one way.
>
>You can rent a flat bed truck and haul it yourself... Hertz lists up
>to a 16'.  There are other sources I'm sure.

Better have that CDL handy if the truck has a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or more.  One that
will handle that 11,000 lbs probably will.  Better make sure you have the proper
insurance too.  Your non-commercial passenger vehicle insurance probably won't cover
renting a commercial truck.  I know that mine won't.  The liability-only insurance on
my 19,000 GVW MD truck runs around $1,200/year.

I haven't rented a commercial vehicle from Hertz for a few years but the last time I
did, they required a CDL, proof of insurance and a business license.  They would NOT
rent to individuals.

I see that the daily rental rate for that 16 ft truck at the agency nearest to me
(Chattanooga) is $225/day.  That's just the truck and does not include fuel,
insurance or tie-downs.  He'd be looking at 2 days' rental, minimum.  I can easily
see this turning into a $750-1000 adventure plus a lot of work.  It's all academic
anyway, as the flatbeds pictured are not suitable for equipment haulage.  No tie-down
anchors, among other things.

Not a very good idea.

To the OP: Two suggestions.  One, call around to local heavy equipment dealers and
find out how they transport.  Probably independent truckers.  Two, hang around local
truck stops.  In both cases you're trying to find an independent owner-operator with
a flat-bed who's making a back-haul (empty) over the route you're interested in.
Rather than run empty, he might haul your tractor for a dollar a mile or less,
including fuel.  He'll have the tie-downs and the experience to do it right.

Some of the chain truck stops have "load boards" where loads can be posted.  I don't
know much about how it works, as I was a company driver, but I did notice the boards
when I was fueling.  Pilot, Petro, Flying J, etc.

One other thought.  You might call your local Co-Op.  They'll probably have a list of
local ag equipment haulers.  If you can't find someone doing a back-haul, you're
probably going to be looking at $2-2.50/mile.