Index Home About Blog
From: REMOVE_THISdwilkins@means.net (Don Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Low melting alloys
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 11:42:37 GMT

On Fri, 05 Mar 1999 19:02:47 -0500, nhull@mindspring.com (Nick Hull)
wrote:

>In article <375fa682.1227611445@news.atl.bellsouth.net>,
>ke4zv@bellsouth.net (Gary Coffman) wrote:
>
>> On 1 Mar 1999 11:33:45 GMT, dgoncz@aol.comYukSpam (DGoncz) wrote:
>> >I could melt a puddle of 158 F melting alloy into the cup... but
>> >bismuth and cadmium are toxic. I need to check and see if either is in
>> >the spec.
>>
>> I believe both are components of low melting point alloys. The key thing
>> here is the specific heats of the mixtures. They are almost certainly less
>> than good old water (which has an amazingly high specific heat). So it is
>> unlikely you can store much heat this way. You'd do better to just put hot
>> water in the jacket.
>>
>> There is a salt (glaubar or something like that) which has a very large
>> heat of fusion, and a melting point that's in the range of the possible for
>> a hot cup. This is used to store solar energy in some solar heating
>> applications. That might be a better bet than toxic (and expensive)
>> low temperature metal alloys.
>
>Glauber's salt does not last forever, it "wears out"

Glauber's salt is sodium sulfate decahydrate (10 molecules of water of
hydration)

Melting point 33 degrees C not too far off from the temperature of
p---. A tad cold for my coffee.

The only way it is going to "wear out" is by losing some water of
hydration which it does about 100 degrees C.

Index Home About Blog