Index Home About Blog
From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>
Newsgroups: fa.linux.kernel
Subject: Re: D-Link DGE-528T (r8159) autonegotation of 1000 Mbps link does
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:50:35 UTC

Petri T. Koistinen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just brought two D-Link DGE-528T (uses r8159 driver) network adapters
> to have nice 1 Gbps home network between two computers.
>
> I have gigabit crossover cable that is connected like this...
>
> Pin  Connector #1  Connector #2
> 1    white/orange  white/green
> 2    orange        green
> 3    white/green   white/orange
> 4    blue          white/brown
> 5    white/blue    brown
> 6    green         orange
> 7    white/brown   blue
> 8    brown         white/blue
> (from: http://logout.sh/computers/net/gigabit/)

That's just plain screwy.  Gigabit doesn't use crossover cables *AT
ALL*, although some of them *tolerate* the green and orange pairs being
crossed for compatibility with older crossover cables.  However, the
cable above is just plain weird.  There is absolutely no reason to cross
the blue and brown pair.

If you know both ends are gigabit, always use a straight-through cable.
  If you know at least one end is gigabit (or auto MDI/MDIX), you can
almost always use a straight-through cable as well.  Use crossover
cables for 10/100 equipment only.

	-hpa

Index Home About Blog