Index Home About Blog
Date:   Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:06:33 -0700
From: Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com>
Subject: Re: Grins
Newsgroups: fa.linux.kernel

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 12:48:52PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>  Silicon Valley startup Google.com says its search engine is based on a
>  patent-pending technology that "performs an objective measurement of
>  the importance of Web pages and is calculated by solving an equation
>  of 500 million variables and more than 2 billion terms."  How, then, to
>  explain this:  A reader's search for the phrase "more evil than Satan
>  himself" returned Microsoft's home page as the first result.
>
>  [From PC Week's Spencer Katt]
>      http://www.google.com/search?q=more+evil+than+satan+himself

I worked there early on as a consultant and from what I remember of what
they are doing, I doubt very much that they did anything special to make
this happen.  The somewhat inaccurate description of how this happens is
that there are more pages, with all those words on them, which point to
the offensive page, than any other group of pages pointing to some other
page.

None the less, highly, highly amusing.
--
---