Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Omnidirectional Antenna
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:44:55 -0500

Carol&Larry Jennings wrote:

> I need to install a new external TV antenna in our Bigfoot camper-which does
> not have the backing plate for the crank-up antenna.  I am looking at the
> Wineguard Omnidirectional antenna which is stationary.  Has anyone had any
> experience with this antenna?  Any suggestions or opinions would be
> appreciated.  Thanks, Larry.

You're not going to like it!  The main function of a regular
antenna, even more than providing gain, is to suppers the reception
of multipath signals that cause ghosts.  These signals are
reflections from hills, buildings, power lines, towers, etc.  The
directivity of a conventional antenna shields against most of the
multipath since the multipath usually comes from a different
direction than the main signal.  An omni - any omni - will suffer
severe ghosting if you're near anything that can reflect the signal.