Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Subject: Re: Mice
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 12:41:16 EST
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel

David Tiedt wrote:

> i have an unwanted guess staying in the camper at the lease... it has
> frustrated me.. and i have even put out some nice food for it.. it has
> just decided to not eat it..
>
> i was hoping to rid this unwanted guess before i started to use the
> camper for hunting but nope.. it still continues to reside.. now i am
> gettin serious.. bought a couple of traps and will have to go on a big
> game hunt to see if i can trap this unwanted guess...
>
> maybe some nice cheese will do the trick..

After several years' experience trapping the little boogers around
the restaurant, I've found the absolute best trap bait to be toasted
peanut butter.  I've had 'em actually come out and trap themselves
seconds after I put the trap down and while I'm still in the room!
Just put some peanut butter on the trap bail, toast it with a flame
until brown and very aromatic and set 'er out.  You'll likely get to
watch the li'l booger commit suicide right before your eyes!

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Pest Problems
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:55:44 -0400

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:08:12 -0700, "Dave Woodruff" <woodyd8688@starband.net>
wrote:

>We have been full timing coming on 2 years and it seems over the last two
>days have acquired a mouse or two in the old MH.  Our traveling partner, a
>spoiled persian is looking for them and hunting hard but no success we have
>seen.  Do any of you have any luck with any of these Ultra Sonic type pest
>repellers on mice?  I tend to think they are probably snake oil, but the
>wife does not like our new guests and wishes them removed as soon as
>possible.  Poison could have bad effects on the cat, and traps have to be
>put where she (the cat) can't get to them.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

The ultrasonic is snake oil.  Last winter I saw one at Big Lots for a couple
of bux and figured I could waste that much for an experiment.  My little
experiment was to plug in the ultrasonic thingie right above a conventional
mouse trap.  considering how many mice I caught, the thing might have been
attracting them.

Bob the cat has been very effective in catching mice in my rig.  he does
pretty well in the non-food areas of my building.  I use traps also. He
quickly learned by experience to stay away from the traps.  I use peanut
butter (lightly toasted with a butane lighter) as bait, something he doesn't
like at all.

You might want to try the peanut butter on traps AND train kitty to leave the
traps alone.  Weakening the spring on a trap (a little heat will do the trick)
and letting her get whacked once is a good teacher.

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:01:03 -0400

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:37:25 -0400, bill horne <redydog@rye.net> wrote:

>Though many have tried, there remains no better mousetrap than the
>wire-and-wood whacker trap. And they're so cheap, you could even call
>them disposable if you have qualms about touching a mouse or anything
>leaking from it. Myself, through years of practice, has developed the
>rare skill of ejecting the mouse without touching it more than 2 times
>out of 7.

Hehe.  A comment I forgot to add to my post.  I've had great luck with glue
traps.  Probably as effective as the whacker traps.  The advantage is that the
glue trap can catch more than one mouse at a time.

There is the small problem of Bob the Cat appearing with the mouse in his
mouth and the glue trap stuck to his fur.  Fortunately the glue comes off
fairly easily. :-)

Oh, and with the snap traps.  A short dunking in dilute bleach water will get
rid of the smell of death so that the trap can be reused.  If you're an SMSer
like me.  I usually use 'em until the wood cracks.