Index Home About Blog
Subject: Re: Cup'oSoup
From: mannj@southern.co.nz (Jay Mann)
Date: Oct 02 1996
Newsgroups: rec.food.preserving

Paul Hinrichs (paulhinr@nando.net) wrote:
: On 22 Sep 1996 20:02:01 -0400, lebasel@bessel.nando.net (lebasel) noted:
[snip]
: >I'm afraid, Kahley, that you might not like this answer.  Most of
: >that taste is due to extra salt, or worse, MSG.  I found that

Will this urban legend about MSG never die?  All sorts of medical tests
using MSG or inert compounds in capsules have shown no evidence for any
link with Chinese restaurant syndrome.  But there is good evidence for
the Chinese restaurant syndrome being caused by histamine, coming from
certain soy sauces or other condiments.  The cure for these nasty
symptoms is to take an antihistamine.

There are many foods with lots of glutamic acid.  Lettuce, for one
(although I don't have any numbers).  Glutamic acid really adds to the
taste of foods, and I personally resent manufacturers who print "No MSG"
on their packets of food. It's like saying, "This food doesn't taste as
good as it might".  However, careful reading of the labels almost always
shows that the food contains "vegetable hydrolysate", where that
hydrolysate is about 50% glutamic acid. That satisfies the taste buds
while also fooling the nutritional hypochondriacs.

Jay D Mann  <mannj@southern.co.nz>
Christchurch, New Zealand

Index Home About Blog