Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Check your passengers.
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:45:13 -0400

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:06:22 -0700, "Matthew Beasley" <nobody@spam.com> wrote:

>"Jim" <desert.rat@att---.net> wrote in message
>> Hunter wrote:
>>>
>>> I keep thinking the dogs would alert me if a bear was nearby, but
>>> having never tested that theory I can't count on it.
>>>

>>   Ya don't need the dogs ..  the smell should alert you!!  Black bears are
>> very odorous!!
>>

>Didn't know that.  I've been pretty close to a male juvine that hid in the
>brush until I was real close.  I din't smell a thing and I think I have a
>pretty good sense of smell.  Scared the heck out of me.  I also can attest
>that they move REAL fast when they want to leave.  Even though I had a deer
>rifle in my hands, I doubt it would have done me any good if he decided to
>attack me instead.

Similar olfactory experience here.  There's a small black bear that ambles up my
driveway every so often.  I've stood at the screen door (with .44 mag in hand, of
course) watching him and have never gotten a whiff of an odor.  Maybe it's a
regional/diet thing.  Now wild boar, that's something else!

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:43:11 -0400

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:02:58 GMT, "Nate" <nsaptaemcscpnanm@nsvpbaemll.net> wrote:

>Do you cook wild boar at your stand by chance?  Had what was claimed to be
>wild boar at a BBQ stand last year and found it to have an interesting
>flavor...not wild at all.

I'll cook pretty much anything someone brings me that'll fit on my pit.  I've had
boar a variety of ways but I've never personally tasted it BBQed.  Just never had the
opportunity.

Boar meat is probably the most affected by stress of common game animals.  If the
boar is chased by dogs, cornered and allowed to fight before being killed then the
stress hormones make it very gamey.  OTOH, if one sneaks up and pops it without
startling it or making it run then the meat is quite mild.

Either way it is vital to de-nut the thing as rapidly as possible.  Cutting his balls
off is the very first thing I do - after making sure he's dead, of course. De-nutting
a still-alive boar would probably get exciting very quickly.  I don't know exactly
why but if the nuts stay on the meat gets gamey.

If that BBQ stand was operating legit then the meat came from a game meat merchant.
That meat is all farm raised and doesn't taste that much different from domestic pig.
It's against the rules in a restaurant to use meat not from a USDA inspected facility
and that precludes wild game.  Not that it stops some operators, of course.