Index Home About Blog
From: Doug White <gwhite@ll.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: darkening stainless steel?

In article <33c25k$cnu@hprcl192.mayfield.hp.com>, <ted@mayfield.hp.com> writes:

# I am attracted to the enhanced corrosion resistance of a stainless steel
# barrel (vs. a blued one), but don't like the light color.  Does anyone
# know of a method to "blue" (or otherwise darken) the outside of a
# stainless rifle barrel?
#
# Thanks!
#
# -Ted "want to have my cake and eat it too"

I haven't tried this on any SS guns, but Ferric Chloride solution (used for
etching copper printed circuit boards) did a very nice job of turning a
pair of my SS hemostats a nice dark grey/black.  I'm not sure how uniform a
color one could get, or how durable the finish is, but it's cheap and easy.
Ferric Chloride can be obtained at any Radio Shack.

Doug White
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

Index Home About Blog