Index Home About Blog
From: Doug White <gwhite@ll.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Recomm for a smallbore target pistol

In article <m0pjOAE-0002P2C@liasun6.epfl.ch>, <baechler@lia.di.epfl.ch> writes:
#
# #|#   The Buck Mark has (I think) a brass trigger while the Mod 41 is steel.
# #|#   I'm not sure why brass is used, perhaps for a smoother surface for the
# #|#   trigger finger?  I've seen similar triggers for the Colt .45, so there
# #|#   must be something to it.
#
#    #YEs, cheaper manufacturing, not higer quality.
#
# # Congratulations...you just damned dozens of pistol models that have
# # this neture as being cheaply manufactured, some of them just as
# # expensive as the Mod 41.
#
# I'm sorry, but there isn't a lot of them. I have only seen them on the
# Brownings. I suspect that High Standard may also have used them, but I
# have no proof. And I maintain what I said. A brass trigger is a way to
# reduce producton cost, not to improve quality and lifetime.

I can't speak for the Buck Mark, but High Standard has NEVER used brass for
their triggers.  A number of models have a gold plated STEEL trigger, but
there isn't a single piece of brass in a High Standard (unless you count
the stuff wrapped around the powder).

By the way, in all fairness to Hammerli etc., one of the things you do get
for your money in the better european guns is a LOT of trigger adjustments.
Pull, slack, overtravel, length of pull, angle etc.  This is great if you
know what you want, but I've seen people driven nearly mad fiddling with
all the screws when they should have been watching their front sight.
Another nice feature you get on some guns is a dry-fire setting.  This
allows you to dry-fire all day long without wear and tear on you or the
pistol.  The old Browning Medalist had this feature, and it was wonderful.
Too bad I could never get used to the rollover trigger design, 'cause it
was a beautiful pistol.

Doug White
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

From: dwwhite@ix.netcom.com (Doug White)
Subject: Re: Smith & Wesson Model 41

In <377khe$lkf@xring.cs.umd.edu> msmith@gate.net (Michael Smith) writes:

#
<Describes problems with Model 41 short-cycling with some ammo>

The Model 41 is notoriously picky about ammo, and short-cycling is one of
the most common problems.  You can tell if your chamber is dirty by trying
to drop a loaded round into the chamber with the barrel held vertically.
If it doesn't drop all the way in, it needs a bath.  Even once the chamber
is clean, it may not stay that way long, depending on your ammo.  Some
brands have heavy, sticky lube that will gunk things up much quicker than
others.  Clean and lubricate (lightly) the slide, and the underside of
the bolt where it pushes the hammer down under recoil.

If all that doesn't do it, you can either try a different brand (or lot)
of ammo, or try to cut down the recoil spring.  I had a 41 with the same
problem, and was considering spring surgery before I sold it to buy a
High Standard Victor, which will shoot ANYTHING.  The 41 is a nice pistol,
but some of them are very fussy eaters.

Good luck.

Doug White
MIT Pistol and Rifle Club

From: dwwhite@ix.netcom.com (Doug White)

#In <377khe$lkf@xring.cs.umd.edu> msmith@gate.net (Michael Smith) writes:
#
##
#<Describes problems with Model 41 short-cycling with some ammo>

I forgot to mention one other thing in my first response.  Make sure your
wrist and elbow are locked!  If you shoot with a loose or bent arm, this
will absorb some of the recoil that the pistol needs to function properly.
We use Model 41's in the PE classes at MIT, and we occasionally have a
problem with new shooters doing this.

Good luck.

Doug White
MIT Pistol and Rifle Club